Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Newer ovens >

Newer ovens

Newer ovens

Old 12-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Default Newer ovens

I got a new oven that holds the temperature steady. Older ovens did not have the technology to do that...they'd heat up, cool a little, then heat up again in cycles. As a result, things get cooked faster and the times in my recipes are not accurate any more.

Is anyone else dealing with this issues? I seem to always be over-cooking things...or burning them!
Old 12-25-2018, 11:36 AM

My repair man says that the older ones (including furnaces etc.) there is a cut off and a turn on. The difference of these two temperatures can be set on some and not on others. Today's technology narrows that gap.

Maybe that explains why I can't cook any more.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:31 PM

Yes, my over is off too. The stove/oven is about 15 years old. Yesterday, I made a prime rib roast just for DH and me. The timing was off, however, it was still delicious. Today is a pork crown roast. It is done 30 minutes early because I cranked the oven to 375 degrees.

Get a decent cooking thermometer to check the temperature of poultry, roasts, etc. Pork and turkeys are now done at different temperatures than years ago. We no longer have to cook it to d*eath! LOL!

PS: My husband just had a conversation this morning about an induction cook-top and a convection oven for the kitchen update in the future.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:02 PM

I'm sure it takes some trial and error with a new oven, but worth the effort.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:12 AM

I have an old oven and my husband recently had to replace the heating coil. I need to start using an oven thermometer for a while to check temperature, this is heating so much better.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 AM

I simply turn the oven down by 25 degrees and cook for the aloted time...watching it closely.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:41 AM

I got a new stove a few years back, everything was always undercooked and had too cook longer. Got a thermometer, here the temp preheated was 25 degrees lower all the time (i.e. set at 350, temp was 325). So got out my book, had to recalabrate it. Now if I set it for 350, it goes to 360. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. So I just set at 340 as the thermometer in the over says 350 (or 10 degrees lower for any wanted temp). I have decided technology isn't all that great, dumbing down syndrome. By the way, don't call customer service........just sayin'.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Next time, I'll reduce the heat and see if that helps.

I never heard of having to recalculate an oven's temperature! My temperature holds steady which is making a difference in how things turn out.

They never tell you this stuff when you buy a new oven.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 AM

My sil has a newer stove and the oven has a convection option. Now I grew up with a Jennair convection oven and we never had issues with hot spots, that is part of the idea of convection, it moves the heat around. Nope not her oven, it just blasts the heat into one part of the oven. I was cooking Pizza, which I do weekly at home in my 20+ year old oven, and one side burned, while the rest was still cooking.

My oven is 25 degrees hot, so I just turn it down by 25 and it is good to go.

It is my third stove in this house (all second hand) and I learned between one and two to get an oven thermometer and double check the temperature at different heat settings. It may be hot at 350, but cool at 500.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Very interesting information about newer ovens! The house we bought last June didn't come with a working oven so we bought a brand new oven, a wall unit one. We haven't installed it yet because we will be remodeling the whole kitchen soon. (I've gone six months without an oven... Even hosted Christmas dinner without it! Crockpots ) This will be the newest oven I'll have ever used, so I will look out for your warnings and tips.