Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gelatin >

Gelatin

Gelatin

Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 PM

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea of the benefits. jello will be on my next grocery list. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:27 AM

You can buy plain gelatin and add fruit juice, fruit and season with any flavorings you want. It sets nicely and flavored exactly as you want.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM

The gelatin packets are next to J Ello but aren’t as flashy because not as marked up. It is super easy to mix it with thawed frozen fruit
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My understanding is that Jello and gelatin are two different things. Jello supposedly contains gelatin but also has a boatload of chemical/artificial ingredients and a lot of sugar. I think if you want the benefits of gelatin, you need to buy gelatin and not Jello. Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Exactly. For those that are interested, processed foods do not show all the additives because laws allow them to leave certain things off the list. Anyone can eat anything they want but having information about source is helpful.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Have heard a lot about bone broth but what is the reason or health benefits behind it.
Do you make it and how does one make it.[/QUOTE]

I make bone broth by taking the bones of the meats that I cook, and boiling them in water until the bones turn white. When they are white the gelatin has been released. I do not remove the fat that cooks out and rises to the top, unless it is a very thick layer and then I only remove about half of the fat in that case. I freeze it in ice cube trays, then transfer into gallon zipper bags labeled by what meat. I can pull out a few cubes for flavoring rice, potatoes, pasta or soups. Six cubes is approximately one cup of flavor. It has always amazed me that people throw away meat drippings or fat and bones. That is all your flavor down the drain. I cannot use any kind of wines to cook or drink, so getting all the flavor into the food is doubly important to me.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
Not convinced by your persuasive argument to be honest.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Gelatin.html
Why not? Gelatin takes the goodness out of something that would be thrown away or fed to animals. Sure Jello has sugar and other stuff in it but pain gelatin is pretty bland. If you broke bone broth/stock down to it's chemicals components it wouldn't sound too appetizing either. Just remember moderation in all things...
Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Why not? Gelatin takes the goodness out of something that would be thrown away or fed to animals. Sure Jello has sugar and other stuff in it but pain gelatin is pretty bland. If you broke bone broth/stock down to it's chemicals components it wouldn't sound too appetizing either. Just remember moderation in all things...
You can also buy the plain gelatin and make it using fruit juice and then the sweetener of your choice. Pear juice makes a nice sweetener. Think about it...real strawberry jello. Yum!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM

I can vouch for the benefit of eating Jello if you have fingernail issues. Every time I was pregnant I craved Jello. I don't know why, but I did. My fingernails were the healthiest they had ever been. A few years ago, as I got older, (ahem) and after foolishly doing the acrylic nail thing, I started having problems with my nails again and remembered the results of the pregnancy craving and solution so I startd eating Jello every day. It worked again. My nails are in great condition so I will continue to injest the jiggly stuff everyday.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 PM

As a follow up on gelatin, my nutritionist suggested I eat gelatin to help with my bone healing and intestinal healing. The gelatin she suggests is not jello. She says is need to be unsweetened, unflavored and grass fed. You can find this type at Vitacost.com or probably a health food store. Jello is not the same thing and she feels that the gelatin you buy in the average grocery store is of little benefit either. You can eat whatever you want, I just thought I'd pass this on to you.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
As a follow up on gelatin, my nutritionist suggested I eat gelatin to help with my bone healing and intestinal healing. The gelatin she suggests is not jello. She says is need to be unsweetened, unflavored and grass fed. You can find this type at Vitacost.com or probably a health food store. Jello is not the same thing and she feels that the gelatin you buy in the average grocery store is of little benefit either. You can eat whatever you want, I just thought I'd pass this on to you.
this is good information. Thank you.