Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gelatin

Gelatin

These are reasons to include gelatin (jello) in our diet.

*. High in protein (1 Tblsp. has 6 grams)
    *. Attches to water so improves digestion
    *. Contains keratin that promotes healthy hair, nails, teeth, skin
    *. Good after illness (helps heal stomach lining & digestive track)
    *. Amino acids are potent anti inflammatory agents to help healing
    *. Has amino acids that are necessary for cartilage, joint & bone health
    *. Has amino acids that aid liver function (removes toxins in system)
    *. Boosts metabolism & stimulates growth hormone to aid in weight loss
    *. Regular consumption improves skin elasticity for a younger, healthier look
    *. Regular consumption promotes better cognitive function & sleep, also less daytime drowsiness

Power Poster
    ​Orange jello was in my fridge this week through cold and flu season.

Wow, I did not know any of this! I'll have to start including more jello into our lives. I haven't had jello in ages but I'm sure it would be something my toddlers would love too. Thanks for the information!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    Wow, I did not know any of this! I'll have to start including more jello into our lives. I haven't had jello in ages but I'm sure it would be something my toddlers would love too. Thanks for the information!
    Ah, for toddlers remember the Jello Jigglers. I'm sure there is a recipe for those online. They are great finger food for little ones.

Tranum, thanks for the reminder. My Mom will be staying with us for awhile and I can make her jello with fruit in it the way she used to make it for us. I love jello but forget about it.

Gelatin Manufacturers must know about this as I have seen the price of Jello rise dramatically in the last few years.

My Mom must’ve been the “Queen of Jello” - she made it so often. She always let it sit out to cool before it was refrigerated. This info was a real eye opener about a natural product & it’s value.

Not convinced by your persuasive argument to be honest.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Gelatin.html

My understanding is that Jello and gelatin are two different things. Jello supposedly contains gelatin but also has a boatload of chemical/artificial ingredients and a lot of sugar. I think if you want the benefits of gelatin, you need to buy gelatin and not Jello. Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.
    Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-02-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I haven't seen a package of jello in years. Thanks for the heads up!

Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Have heard a lot about bone broth but what is the reason or health benefits behind it.
    Do you make it and how does one make it.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I haven't seen a package of jello in years. Thanks for the heads up!
    ????? What? do they not sell it in the USA?
    That seems really really odd to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    ????? What? do they not sell it in the USA?
    That seems really really odd to me.
    No, it's just that I haven't bought it in years therefore I haven't noticed it at the stores

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    No, it's just that I haven't bought it in years therefore I haven't noticed it at the stores
    Gotchya!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.
    Have heard a lot about bone broth but what is the reason or health benefits behind it.
    Do you make it and how does one make it.[/QUOTE]

I hardly ever buy broth, I make my own & freeze it. Google “bone broth” & you’ll get instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    Do you make it and how does one make it.
    I hardly ever buy broth, I make my own & freeze it. Google “bone broth” & you’ll get instructions.[/QUOTE]

Google is my best friend sometimes. I googled recipes and talked to some holistic people I know about it. I need to make some more. I often make it and freeze it. Then if I want to make a quick batch of soup, I can just add veggies and meat and I've got soup!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Jello either has tons of sugar or artificial sweeteners. Neither of which I need or want.

I use milk for half the water when making jello and only use half the water called for. It sets with a cream layer on top. All desserts have sugar and added stuff. That is why most are so tasty. I enjoy them in moderation. I don't want a lecture when I want a big bowl of Jello instead of an organic fruit bowl.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

It’s been said, sadly, over 80% of the items in a grocery store contains sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    It’s been said, sadly, over 80% of the items in a grocery store contains sugar.
    Shop the outside edges of the store. That's where the good stuff is. I rarely shop the aisles. It's all processed food and things that are bad for you. I avoid those.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    You learn something new everyday. I had no idea of the benefits. jello will be on my next grocery list. Thanks for the info.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

You can buy plain gelatin and add fruit juice, fruit and season with any flavorings you want. It sets nicely and flavored exactly as you want.

The gelatin packets are next to J Ello but aren’t as flashy because not as marked up. It is super easy to mix it with thawed frozen fruit

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    My understanding is that Jello and gelatin are two different things. Jello supposedly contains gelatin but also has a boatload of chemical/artificial ingredients and a lot of sugar. I think if you want the benefits of gelatin, you need to buy gelatin and not Jello. Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.
    Exactly. For those that are interested, processed foods do not show all the additives because laws allow them to leave certain things off the list. Anyone can eat anything they want but having information about source is helpful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Or better yet, make your own bone broth. It just depends on what you are looking for.
    Do you make it and how does one make it.[/QUOTE]

I make bone broth by taking the bones of the meats that I cook, and boiling them in water until the bones turn white. When they are white the gelatin has been released. I do not remove the fat that cooks out and rises to the top, unless it is a very thick layer and then I only remove about half of the fat in that case. I freeze it in ice cube trays, then transfer into gallon zipper bags labeled by what meat. I can pull out a few cubes for flavoring rice, potatoes, pasta or soups. Six cubes is approximately one cup of flavor. It has always amazed me that people throw away meat drippings or fat and bones. That is all your flavor down the drain. I cannot use any kind of wines to cook or drink, so getting all the flavor into the food is doubly important to me.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast