Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gluten-Free Soup?? >

Gluten-Free Soup??

Gluten-Free Soup??

Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Squash soup: bake a butternut squash and a yam in the oven til done. When cool,remove skin and seeds. In your soup pot,simmer a peeled,chopped apple and a peeled,chopped onion in broth til soft. Toss in yam and squash...blend with immersion blender. Add cream or broth until you get the consistency you like. I served this at a quilt retreat and it was devoured.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM

I have a friend who has to have gluten free food, I just made a simple vegetable-beef soup with a tomatoe base. Just nothing with flour and she could eat it just fine. Also a chicken and rice soup is good. Just remember to use rice and vegetables and no wheat products.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM

I have been on a GF diet for 12 years. Do not assume any purchased product is GF unless the label so states. Beware of mystery ingredients such as "modified food starch". Just staying away from flour is NOT SUFFICIENT.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 PM

A lot of people who say they are celiac are not truly so, but have a gluten intolerance. That means you do not have to go so overboard about not cross-contaminating things. A person with gluten intolerance can eat oatmeal, which is gluten free. But a true celiac must make sure the oats was not grown in a field that had had wheat growing in it for the previous three years. Very few people are actually hard-core celiac to that degree.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Here is a great soup that I have recently made. It is delicious and good for you too! Most everything I make from her site is REALLY good. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/04/c...25-ww-pts.html
Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 AM

No, she would NEVER suggest we even make it gluten free for her!! I'm just taking it upon myself to do that so she feels included. The comments she has made about not liking some things was just in passing, I'm taking those comments and applying it to making soup. It's good to know that most soup things are gluten free, I had no idea. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 AM

Thank you so much everyone, you've given me great info. I LOVE this site!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
A can of tomato soup is gluten-free. Chicken broth is gluten-free. Vegetables are gluten-free but grains are not. A cube of beef boullion or a can of consume is gluten-free. There's an easy answer.

Not all chicken broth is gluten-free! Read the labels, most of them even some of the vegetable ones are not GF. Mfg's add wheat products to most items because it is addicting! Bouillon is not necessarily GF..........Corn is GF unless it has been messed with by humans.

Anything with wheat, spelt, rye, etc,etc, are Gluten. Several great websites that list what gluten is are online and can be found in an easy search.

Living gluten free is a challenge [I've been GF for 1 1/2 years due to my health] but I don't make anyone specially prepare food for me. I bring what I can eat if their will be any question.
It is very nice of you to do the research and give this a try.
Wow I didn't know chicken broth could have wheat in it. I am going to go read my cans of College Inn (the thanksgiving staple!) and make sure it is just broth. My DD is gluten-free, although she won't drop dead from eating it. It is a health choice but not a mandate.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 PM

I've done many potluck with gluten free people. Our rule was to bring what you like and can eat. I can't see everyone making gluten free soups for one person. With that said, there are tons of soups out there that do not contain gluten. Maybe ask her for her favorite recipe if she has one. HTH