Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Good hearty Beef Stew Recipe >

Good hearty Beef Stew Recipe

Good hearty Beef Stew Recipe

Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm looking for a hearty beef stew recipe. That is one of my sons favorite foods and I would like a recipe that doesn't use the packets of seasonings. That of course is what I've always done but would like to expand my expertise on this...
Old 01-14-2009, 02:40 PM

I just brown stew meat with lots of seasonings (i.e., garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, basil, etc.). When it's browned, I add beef broth, garlic, onion, a can of tomatoes, maybe some tomato paste or V8 juice. A little red wine too, if you're adventurous! Hic! :roll: Let simmer for a while, then add all your veggies, so they don't get too mushy.

Some of the grocery stores have stew veggies in the freezer section, but you can easily add your own: more onion, celery, carrot, parsnips, beans, potatoes, cabbage, okra, or whatever your family enjoys.

Make a lot. It's always better the next day and freezes beautifully!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Stew is kinda "clean out the fridge" time. I brown the meat, throw it in a slow cooker, deglaze the frying pan and put that in the crock pot too, along with whatever is lying around. I add a handful of chives and parsly, then just go have fun til it smells good enough to taste.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM

That's my kind of recipe Moonpi. lol.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
I just brown stew meat with lots of seasonings (i.e., garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, basil, etc.). When it's browned, I add beef broth, garlic, onion, a can of tomatoes, maybe some tomato paste or V8 juice. A little red wine too, if you're adventurous! Hic! :roll: Let simmer for a while, then add all your veggies, so they don't get too mushy.

Some of the grocery stores have stew veggies in the freezer section, but you can easily add your own: more onion, celery, carrot, parsnips, beans, potatoes, cabbage, okra, or whatever your family enjoys.

Make a lot. It's always better the next day and freezes beautifully!
I also do mine this way. Each time it will always be a little different.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM

Been craving stew and it is my son's favorite meal.... Might have to give it a whirl this weekend. Thank you
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM

I pretty much do the same as all of you empty the fridge. However, I was at an all day quilting class where we had a potluck and someone brought a stew from the fix it and forget it cookbook that had tapioca as thickening. That was really really good.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,beef_stew_v8_tapioca,FF.html

Here are some recipes I found.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM

this is how I make beef stew and it smells soooo good while cooking.
1pound of round steak cubed and cut up in bite size pieces
put the following in a large zip lock bag
1/4 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, dash of ginger, dash of allspice.
Put the meat in the bag with all the spices and flour, zip shut and shake well to coat the meat.
Melt generous 1/4 cup of fat/shortening in skillet,
add all contents of bag to skillet plus 1 cup chopped onions and brown stiring and browning meat on all sides. When it is browned nicely put it all in a crock pot along with 2 1/2 cups of water and stir. (I usually poor a little of that water in the skillet then pour that in the crockpot, you want all that browned flavorful stuff in the pot)I usually cook on high for 2 hours or whatever time it starts getting tender. Then add cubed potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, corn ect and cook till potatoes get tender. Also if there are any dabs of leftovers in fridge that goes in also. You can also cook on low in oven if your prefer, I have done it both ways. Sometimes when I do it in the oven in a caserole dish I add a cresent roll topping to it and brush with egg makes it look real pretty if you are serving it in that dish. Otherwise I use yummy Grands buttermilk biscuits and spoon the stew over the opened biscuit. yum yum
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

I use the McCormicks Beef Stew packet.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 AM

I just use pieces of stew meat, flour and brown them. Throw them into a crock pot (I ususally add garlic, a glug of worchestshire sauce, sliced onions, some water). Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 8 hours or so.

I parboil all of the vegetables before dinner and add them at the end to the crock pot. It's been my experience, if you crock pot the vegetables all day, they usually come out mushy.