Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Green Tomato Relish >

Green Tomato Relish

Green Tomato Relish

Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Green Tomato Relish from Purity Cook Book:
Wash & slice green tomatoes - 8 cups
Mix with 3 Tablespoons of salt is a large bowl. Allow to stand overnight in the fridge covered with a towel. In the morning drain, don't keep the liquid.
In a large saucepan combine:
2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons Mustard Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
1 Teaspoon Tumeric
3 cups Sliced Onions
Bring to a boil & simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the drained tomatoes and add 3 cups (combined) chopped clery and red, green & yellow peppers. If you want a bite to it add 1 chopped hot pepper.
Bring back to the boil, simmer 5 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking. Pack into hot sterilized jars and process in hot water bath for 40 minutes. Makes 5 pints.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Overlander
Green Tomato Relish from Purity Cook Book:
Wash & slice green tomatoes - 8 cups
Mix with 3 Tablespoons of salt is a large bowl. Allow to stand overnight in the fridge covered with a towel. In the morning drain, don't keep the liquid.
In a large saucepan combine:
2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons Mustard Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
1 Teaspoon Tumeric
3 cups Sliced Onions
Bring to a boil & simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the drained tomatoes and add 3 cups (combined) chopped clery and red, green & yellow peppers. If you want a bite to it add 1 chopped hot pepper.
Bring back to the boil, simmer 5 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking. Pack into hot sterilized jars and process in hot water bath for 40 minutes. Makes 5 pints.
This sounds like a good recipe to use when I'm too impatient to wait for the tomatoes to ripen in the garden this summer! IT does sound VERY good!! Thanks for sharing this!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM

It IS a great recipe. I make green tomato relish by the case, and when it's gone, I make more. I love it. My grannie used to make it.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:09 PM

I make it with the leftover tomatoes before the frost hits. I use a jar of it with ketchup in hamburger meat to make wimpies.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM

BarbM: What's a "Wimpey?" Never heard of it.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Sloppy Joe

hamburg barbque

it's yummy

brown hamburger meat, drain excess grease, return to pan. add jar of green tomato relish- or jar of green relish bought from store. Add ketchup to make it saucy. Still well and simmer about 20 minutes.

I don't cook with salt and pepper- you can add them. Scoop some on a hamburger bun or roll. I make them in the crock pot too to take to suppers.

Made about 50 pints this past summer.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
Sloppy Joe

hamburg barbque

it's yummy

brown hamburger meat, drain excess grease, return to pan. add jar of green tomato relish- or jar of green relish bought from store. Add ketchup to make it saucy. Still well and simmer about 20 minutes.

I don't cook with salt and pepper- you can add them. Scoop some on a hamburger bun or roll. I make them in the crock pot too to take to suppers.

Made about 50 pints this past summer.
Thank you, BarbM: We call these Sloppy Joes here. I love them. I, too, made and canned a dozen or two jars of the green tomato relish last fall so I think I'll use your recipe for a birthday party potluck we'll be attending this week end AND, I'll use up some of my relish. DH isn't crazy about the relish just plain on a burger unless it's made with jalapenos so disguised in hamburger will be a great way to use it up and he'll enjoy it as he, too, likes "Wimpies."