Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Green Tomato Relish

Green Tomato Relish

The season is here for way too many green tomatoes. This is a recipe I have made for the last 5 years.

It is very good. For a variation you can add jalapenos if you like hot.

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/canning/green-tomato-relish/

Blog Entries
    Very close to what my Mother always made. Hers was always hot and we knew it by the name of “Chow-Chow”!

My grandma used to make this all of the time. She had a big garden and used up everything from the garden that she could. She made this in the fall and I can remember eating this by the spoonfuls. Brings back great memories. Thanks for the recipe.

Blog Entries
    So do you use this as a dip for crackers? Or to put on burgers? Does it have more of a pickle relish taste?

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    So do you use this as a dip for crackers? Or to put on burgers? Does it have more of a pickle relish taste?
    I would consider it a pickle relish. I have used it in my tuna salad sandwich mix. It is crunchy. (Meaning don't overcook it).

Thank you for posting this recipe. I grew up eating Chow-Chow. It goes very well with beans and cornbread and it's great on hot dogs.

Wonderful recipe! I'm gonna save this for the end of the season. Thanks!

~ C

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    Very close to what my Mother always made. Hers was always hot and we knew it by the name of “Chow-Chow”!
    My brother in law was from Texas, and when I lived there, he requested deviled eggs on Thanksgiving, and I said sure, but when I went to make them, I realized I was out of relish which I always add. They only thing I had to use was some homemade “chow-chow” his mother made for me. I chopped some up very fine, and stirred it in. Wow! I accidentally invented a dish that is now very popular in their small Texas town. Now everybody is doing it with “chow-chow”. Lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The other way to use it is in macaroni or potato salad along with your fresh veggies. Or say a ground cooked chicken salad done up for sandwiches. I also used to put a good sized dollop into the middle of a summer green salad. I make chow chow too, but it isn't hot. Just like a sweet pickle relish. It is from a very old cook book by better homes and gardens on canning.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Omg, that sounds yummy- those jalapeño peppers of course! It has been many years since I've done any canning, so all of those supplies are no longer in my kitchen arsenal, but if they were, I would certainly do this! Wonder I'd there is any commercially available? Anyone have any suggestions.....