Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gooey Grits Cake >

Gooey Grits Cake

Gooey Grits Cake

Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Renee110, Thank you for the Gooey Grits Cake recipe!! Looks yummy.

I was born & raised in CT and had family in FL. While visiting that was my first introduction to grits and they are so good. I didn’t have them with cheese until just a few years ago and they are delicious that way. They are also good with butter and strawberry preserves.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
There is a famous cafe (Bell Buckle Cafe) that has the bestest dessert. You gotta get in there early to get it or they have run out. One of the waitresses that work there gave me the recipe. I have not made this yet, just eaten it at the cafe. Hopefully it's as good as the Cafe's.

Grits Cake

1 yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup grits
8 oz. pack cream cheese
16 oz. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat over 350 degrees farenheit. Mix cake, 2 eggs, butter, and grits in a bowl.

Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, 2 eggs, and vanilla until smooth and creamy.

Spread first mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. Pour second mixture over cake batter, then bake for 35-45 minutes.

The top of the cake should be gooey.
Then mix real whipping cream with some sugar ( use 1 pint whipping cream and 2 tbs sugar) to spread on top. You can use frozen or canned but I prefer the real stuff!

I made this cake yesterday and it was very good, but I didn't like the grainy part. I was wondering if the grits were supposed to be cooked instead of dry. So I looked around on the internet and found this site
http://www.worldgritsfestival.com/dyncat.cfm?catid=419
It's the fifth recipe down and it calls for "cooked" grits. I will make the cake again, but next time, I'll cook the grits.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltlove View Post
Use uncooked regular grits or......uncooked instant grits?
Which type of uncooked grits; regular or instant? And when applying the cream & sugar at the end, I assume it's to be whipped 1st? I'd rather not assume since my Mom taught me the true meaning, lol. 😉
Old 11-30-2023, 01:04 AM

pollym44,
Guess I'm off to the big house. I don't have grits in my kitchen-yet. Maybe nashville is looking for me on a warrant, but I'm hiding!
Sorry- I couldn't resist! Seriously, I don't have grits at home & if we want- we hit the restaurants!
Sewverybusy
Old 11-30-2023, 06:34 AM

Well, we found that the grits need to be cooked, so one cup of cooked grits, now is that the regular or instant?
Old 12-03-2023, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by heather1949 View Post
could you please tell me what GRITS are i'm an Aussie lol,
that sounds like something I would not spoil ops:
Heather,
If you've ever seen the movie "My Cousin Vinny" staring Joe Pesci, Marissa Tomei and Ralph Macchio, there is a funny scene in the movie about grits and how they are cooked in the south.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:34 AM

Default Sorry, but which grits?

I couldn't find the answer whether to use regular or instant grits. Could someone please clarify? My BFF & I went to the cafe on vacation & words cannot describe how great this cake is! And the peach fried pies are amazing too!
Originally Posted by Love 2 Bake Leslie View Post
Which type of uncooked grits; regular or instant? And when applying the cream & sugar at the end, I assume it's to be whipped 1st? I'd rather not assume since my Mom taught me the true meaning, lol. 😉
Old 01-11-2024, 06:03 AM

I couldn't find the answer whether to use regular or instant grits. Could someone please clarify? My BFF & I went to the cafe on vacation & words cannot describe how great this cake is! And the peach fried pies are amazing too!
Since the grits are cooked it doesn't really matter which type of grits. I found this site that has cooking instructions
http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/boa...APR/25302.html
It's not a link so you need to copy and paste or go to recipelink.com and search for Gooey butter chess cake (another old name for grits cake)
Old 01-11-2024, 10:13 AM

It wouldn't make any difference, since they are cooked, assuming they are cooked according to the directions.
bkay
Old 01-14-2024, 08:12 AM

I've had grits a few times while visiting in the South (and I like them,) but I never see grits in the stores around here. The closest we have is polenta. I wonder if the grits could be swapped out for polenta in this recipe?