Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Got to many fresh figs?

Got to many fresh figs?

A friend of mine has a huge fig tree with hundreds of figs on it & they keep ripening daily. She gave me a big bag of them last Thursday & it was to much for DH & I to eat so I found this cookie recipe on Allrecipes.com

I read the reviews & changed it up some according to others suggestions. It's a really, really yummy recipe & even if you don't like figs, the cookies don't taste like figs. They are a "cake" like cookie...very soft & will stick together if you stack them before waiting for them to cool completely. Even then, stack them lightly. Since I couldn't use up all the figs, I went ahead & smashed them up & froze them in 1 cup bags for future cookies. I have a little Magic Bullet & I used that to smash them up in.

I think you could use this same recipe for a cake also. I think it would be awesome with some cream cheese/powdered sugar frosting.

Fresh Fig Cookies
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 beaten egg
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup fresh figs (smashed)
    1/2 cup pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 deg.
    Cream sugar & butter & vanilla. Add beaten egg.
    Blend flour, soda, baking powder, & cinnamon with creamed mixture.
    Fold in figs & nuts.
    Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased (or parchment papered) cookie sheet.
    Bake for 15 minutes.
    Makes about 4 1/2 doz. small cookies.

Sounds yummy, but don't have a fig tree. Price of figs here is pricey.

My friend said as long as her tree keeps producing we can have as many as we want. I have a Food Saver system that sucks the air out of bags for you to freeze foods. Since the figs are so juicy after I smash them up I just freeze the one cup amounts in a small plastic container first. After they are frozen, I take them out of the plastic container & run the frozen figs through the Food Saver & they will store for years like that.

That does sound yummy. I love fig newtons, so I would definitely be willing to try another kind of fig cookie :-)

Blog Entries
    oh that does sound good. we used to have a dog when I was young and he loved figs!

My husbands Aunt in California had a fig tree in her yard. Oh how I loved those figs. No fig trees where we live, on the Western slope maybe.

My figs aren't ripe yet. My favorite way to keep them on hand until winter is to pickle them. I got the recipe from the Ball Canning book. They are a lot like pickled peaches. I've made them with Splenda sometimes and they are still good.
    If we could foresee the future, we might not have the nerve to venture into it. -- Wallace Stegner

I don't have any recipes but you are so lucky! I love fresh figs and we rarely have them around here
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I make jelly out of mine, and add all manner of berries to the recipie to change it up. Very exotic flavor!

What a wonderful situation to be in - would happy to take some off your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    What a wonderful situation to be in - would happy to take some off your hands!
    Getting them from Texas to N.E. England - there's the rub.

Would you share your recipe for the pickled figs, please. The sound interesting.

My fig tree is so big that a branch broke off with the last big wind we had in April, I love them figs.. I have sun dried some and then freeze them, love grabbing a bag of figs in the winter. I have given some to friends but sometimes they ask about them but I guess they expect me to gather them and take it to them...hahaha.

Blog Entries
    How lucky you all are.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Oh I would love to have some fresh figs but I must say the pickled sounds terrific.

Oh..."poor you!" My fig tree has figs, but they're not ripe yet. I actually broke down and bought some today. My favorite way to eat them is to quarter them, add a little water, maple syrup and garam masala, (similar to pumpkin pie spice.) I heat it up and then pour it over vanilla, or almond ice cream and sprinkle with chopped nuts. So autumnal!

~ C