Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been watching, The Great British Bake Off?

Has anyone been watching, The Great British Bake Off?

OMG...the Brits know how to make wonderful, sweet things! All of the things that they make in this baking show are rich and decadent. I've decided that I don't have to actually bake anything, I just have to watch the show and that fulfills my need for actually eating baked goodies. The show makes the contestants do French pastries too...how diplomatic!

Is anyone else addicted to this cooking show?

~ C

Correction...I am referring to the Great British Baking Show. It may be the same as above...not sure.

~ C

I also enjoy the show. I watch it on Netflix while I'm doing dishes, cooking, knitting, folding laundry, etc. Sometimes I have to pause it so I don't miss things (my laptop travels with me while I work around the house).
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Blog Entries
    when I've watched it, some of the contestants are mean to each other. removing items from a small fridge and then inserting their own due to lack of space. adds to the drama i guess, but not nice at all.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Correction...I am referring to the Great British Baking Show. It may be the same as above...not sure.

~ C
    It’s the same show. Just a different name in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    when I've watched it, some of the contestants are mean to each other. removing items from a small fridge and then inserting their own due to lack of space. adds to the drama i guess, but not nice at all.
    I’ve only seen that once or twice. I’ve also seen contestants pitch in to help another finish the challenge.

I've enjoyed it but haven't caught it in a while. I think it quit airing on PBS in Florida.

Power Poster
    I also like to watch it but I haven’t seen any mean people.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Really? I haven't seen that at all. In fact, I find everyone is very friendly and helpful. It's one of the main reasons that I watch the show. Perhaps you're confusing it with another show and with that, I'd have to agree. In some of the other shows the contestants are down right nasty to each other.

As an American, I do get confused about some of the baking terms that they use. For example:
    strong flour= bread flour
    biscuit=cookie
    icing sugar=powdered sugar
    caster sugar= superfine sugar
    plain chocolate= sweetened chocolate

There's more, but I can't think of them off hand.

~ C

I'm a fan and started a thread about it earlier this year. This year I've also watched the Canadian Baking Show for the first time. I've started watching more and more CBC this past year.

I like the different pronunciations in addition to the ingredient names. Oregano is one of them

Also like the very different Two Fat Ladies, they cracked me up.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

It seems they're now in reruns but I still watch them just the same. Lately the hosts are showing how to make their favorite recipes.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

We call it GBBO, and everybody (well nearly) loves it. There was a mix-up a few years ago with use of a fridge or a freezer - forget which - but totally accidental. It is a wonderful programme, they all seem to support each other; this year has been fun too, and despite tears and drama, but no fights or nastiness, the right person won. We all find that Paul H is wearing a bit thin these days, and that Prue is a bit of a stickler - but she is a great cook too.

We also have a Junior Bake Off, very good too, with very supportive kids of varying ages, Prue is there along with one of the funnier but good baker from the 2018/17 GBBO series. Worth a watch if you can get it across the pond.

I haven't seen anyone be mean or do anything to sabotage anyone.

However, if you do enjoy some fun sabotage, check out Cutthroat Kitchen, with Alton Brown.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Love, love, love Mary Berry!

For our UK people: when you refer to "pudding"...what exactly is this? Pudding here in US is usually a creamy, milk based dessert. Thanks.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Love it! So glad Netflix now has it on as the show is airing. We get it in like three or four days. Still a delay, but not a year the way it was on PBS. We got the holiday special, I am hoping we get the kids edition. I also want the Sewing Bee! Love that show and Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    We call it GBBO, and everybody (well nearly) loves it. There was a mix-up a few years ago with use of a fridge or a freezer - forget which - but totally accidental. It is a wonderful programme, they all seem to support each other; this year has been fun too, and despite tears and drama, but no fights or nastiness, the right person won. We all find that Paul H is wearing a bit thin these days, and that Prue is a bit of a stickler - but she is a great cook too.
    Oh! I saw that episode. The lady contestant took out the male contestant's baked Alaska mixture from the freezer and didn't put it back. Subsequently, he lost the challenge and was sent home. The next week, she was no longer a contestant either. I've also read that in the unedited version, it was something else entirely that caused his demise, but they edited it to minimize the ordeal. Who knows?

The show doesn't rely on scandals and back biting and I appreciate that. That was just an odd happening.

~ C

Paul Hollywood is wearing a bit thin, but with those blue eyes, all is forgiven.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    Love, love, love Mary Berry!

For our UK people: when you refer to "pudding"...what exactly is this? Pudding here in US is usually a creamy, milk based dessert. Thanks.
    Pudding in the UK tends to refer to dessert, as in 'what's for pudding'. However, there are exceptions! Yorkshire pudding, steak and kidney pudding, black pudding, white pudding, Christmas pudding, rice pudding etc - some sweet, some savoury as you can see from the few I have listed. We can identify the type it is by the name.

Love the show and love Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood. I get confused by the measurements and some of the ingredient names. But it is fun to watch.
    Rumbols

American vs. British terms continued:

American: Broiler, British: Grill
    American: Layer cake, British: Sandwich cake
    American: Pudding, British: Mouse
    American: Steamed cake, British: pudding
    American: Crumb, British: texture

Unkown: "rough puff." "done when jiggly,"

~ C

Blog Entries
    I love the Great British Bake off. Although, I was more fond of Mary Berry as the co-judge. And, I was really partial to the two host ladies in the early shows Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc. That being said, I still watch it.

I don't think it's mean or cruel.

I did watch the show where there was some type of sabotage. The lady who did it, did not finish the season and was not on the show directly after it happened. I don't know if it was on purpose or an accident. They did down play the accident.

I've been watching the British Christmas Bake Offs also.

I just love all the pretty accents. And seeing all the beautiful creations.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I remember the freezer/refrigerator incident and I am glad that actually the cause of removal was for another reason. Obviously, there are a lot of edits. I am watching the current series but several episodes behind. It is a treat for me to watch and I don’t want to finish too soon since the winter months are still up ahead.

That show is fun to watch.

I love it. And I’ll watch the same ones over and over. They make it seem like baking anything is possible.
    Lori

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast