Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade-ish Dinner Rolls >

Homemade-ish Dinner Rolls

Homemade-ish Dinner Rolls

Old 11-21-2022, 10:36 AM

Default Homemade-ish Dinner Rolls

I love homemade dinner rolls, but frankly, when the rush is on to get everything out on the holiday table, the rolls sometimes don't make it to the finish line intact. Here is a great way to have semi-homemade dinner rolls that are easy to make. Buy pre-made pizza dough,white,or whole wheat,in the deli section of your supermarket. I keep mine in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I take it out the night before the big meal and let it thaw out on the counter. The next morning it's bursting out of the bag and ready to mold into rolls. Spread a little flour on your surface, squeeze all of the dough out of it's bag onto the flour and divide into equally sized pieces. I can make 6 big rolls from one bag of dough. Shape each piece into balls and set them into a casserole dish that has been oiled and the bottom lined with parchment paper. If you like a shiny crust, brush with milk,or beaten egg thinned with a little water. If you want to add sesame or poppy seeds to the top, brush the top with a beaten egg, then sprinkle the seeds. Put them in the oven after the "roast beast" has been taken out and bake for 375 degrees F, for I dunno...about 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are puffed up and golden brown on top. I love this recipe because the clean up is minimal and the results are yummy!
Old 11-21-2022, 03:33 PM

I discovered Sister Schuster dinner rolls; you can find them in the freezer at Walmart, pop them in the oven for 10 min while frozen, tastes like homemade and reasonably priced. Easy Peasy!!
Old 11-21-2022, 07:44 PM

I often see on TV, or read about buying Pizza dough in the supermarket deli for making rolls. I have to say though that in all my years, I have never seen it in any of the stores I shop. for the most part we have Cub, Hy-Vee, Aldi, Walmart or Target. I just grab a bag of Rhodes dough balls, and go that route.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:52 PM

Rhodes (or store brand) frozen dinner rolls. Before bed, I put them in a greased pan, cover tightly with a white dish towel and refrigerate overnight. In morning I set pan on top of potholders (because pan is cold) and keep covered until ready to bake. They’ve thawed but not risen in the refrigerator.
Im going to try the pizza dough method. They sound really good.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I find pizza dough where the biscuits and the box pie crust are in the store. It looks like the pie crust box. its been in every grocery store I have shopped at. It also comes in a can like biscuits. As for dinner rolls I use Sister Schubert yeast rolls for holiday meal. They sell out fast here around holidays. I make most of our daily bread, but on holidays I don't.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:41 PM

I shop at Safeway and the pizza dough is in the deli area, near where they sell their take and bake pizza and the dough comes in a plastic bag.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the tip, tropit. Good idea.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
I discovered Sister Schuster dinner rolls; you can find them in the freezer at Walmart, pop them in the oven for 10 min while frozen, tastes like homemade and reasonably priced. Easy Peasy!!
Is that sister Schubert ?
Old 12-04-2022, 07:06 AM

If you have about 1 1/2 hours of time, I have a good dinner roll recipe that we love. Prep time is fast but they do take about 30 minutes to rise & then another 20 min to bake.
CLASSIC DINNER ROLLS

2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR (OR MORE IF NEEDED)

2 ¼ TSPS RAPID RISE YEAST

2 TBSP SUGAR

½ TSPS SALT

½ CUP MILK

¼ CUP WATER

1 TBSP BUTTER

DIRECTIONS:

1. COMBINE ¾ CUP FLOUR, UNDISSOLVED YEAST, SUGAR & SALT IN LARGE BOWL. HEAT MILK, WATER & BUTTER UNTIL VERY WARM (115 DEG. F TO 120 DEG. F) ADD TO FLOUR MIXTURE. BEAT 2 MINUTES AT MEDIUM SPEED OF ELECTRIC MIXER. ADD ¼ CUP FLOUR & BEAT 2 MINUTES AT HIGH SPEED. STIR IN ENOUGH REMAINING FLOUR (APPROX. 1 CUP) TO MAKE SOFT DOUGH. KNEAD ON LIGHTLY FLOURED SURFACE UNTIL SMOOTH & ELASTIC, ABOUT 8 TO 10 MINUTES. COVER & LET REST 10 MINUTES.

2. DIVIDE DOUGH INTO 12 EQUAL PIECES, SHAPE INTO BALLS. PLACE IN GREASED 8” ROUND PAN OR ON COOKING SHEET CLOSE TOGETHER. COVER & LET RISE IN WARM DRAFT-FREE PLACE (OVEN WITH LIGHT ON) UNTIL DOUBLED IN SIZE – ABOUT 45 MINUTES.

3. BAKE IN PREHEATED 350 DEG. F OVEN FOR 20 MINUTES OR UNTIL DONE. SERVE WARM!
Old 12-04-2022, 02:33 PM

Yes! Schubert is correct!
Good Grief, Schuster was my 8th grade English teacher
Thank for the correction! They are awesome rolls!