Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ♥ Homemade Noodles

Blog Entries
    ♥ Craftybear♥ Google Goddess Surfing Queen of Links ♥
    http://quiltingforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blogspot.com/

Yum yum! I have asked my mom for her noodle recipe. It includes "butter the size of a walnut" and "an eggshell of water after you break the egg."

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link Craftybear

I've made home made noodles all my life. I only use 2 eggs to one cup of flour, half tsp salt, & half tsp baking powder.
    Then after I mix & roll out, I flour it heavely & roll it into a log & slice the log the thickness I want the noodles to be. Then unroll the slices. Very yummy. Much better than the bought ones.

My absolute favorite meal. Mom would cook a brisket all day and make the noodles in the morning. Her biggest problem was keeping us out of them. Dad made her noodle hangers out of dowels. She laid the dowels across the top of two cabinets and hung the noodles to dry. When I was a teenager she got an electric pasta maker to roll out the dough.

I must be your mothers age..(was very hard to teach my kids, to just use a pinch of this or a drop of that..) egg shell measurement is more accurate than a "pinch" or just use a little of that ..

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Good to "see" you Craftybear .. Thanks for the site !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you Crafty !!! glad to see you

Glad to see you Karen.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Thank you CraftyBear. My mother made homemade noodles, but she would roll then cut finely & toss & seprate them on a cookie sheet to dry. Pluss we would make ribble in almost the same way, difference we used only the yolk & kept adding more flour (in a big bowl). It is all size crumbs & cook with chicken broth or bullion. I still make this whenever I have egg yolk that someone has given me. They freeze the yolks in a container for me, at least it isn't thrown out. Thanks again.

Halo, I have found this also to be the right proportion. My BC cookbook calls for three yolks and 1 whole egg. My mother's noodles were always better than mine. I asked one day, what did you do with all the (leftover) whites. She said, I just used half the eggs.. the whole eggs!! I think it makes them fluffier than heavy yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I've made home made noodles all my life. I only use 2 eggs to one cup of flour, half tsp salt, & half tsp baking powder.
    Then after I mix & roll out, I flour it heavely & roll it into a log & slice the log the thickness I want the noodles to be. Then unroll the slices. Very yummy. Much better than the bought ones.

Tesspug, I have never cooked a brisket. How did your mother go about it. Is it browned first and liquid added? Also, is it cooked on top of the stove or in the oven? Any help you can give me will be greating appreciated. Thank you so much. Dixie

Blog Entries
    Thanks Craftybear!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

My grandma's recipe:
    4 cups flour,1 tsp salt mix together
    put in a pile on the table, make a well in the center pull the flour away from the center so the table is bare in the middle, surrounded by flour.
    4 eggs
    crack into a cup. fill half of one egg shell with water twice, add to the egg, beat with a fork.
    pour the egg/water into the well in the flour. Use the fork at first, then your hand to draw the flour into the egg, until you have a fairly stiff dough. You may not use all of the flour. Form the dough into balls somewhat smaller than a tennis ball. keep the balls covered until ready to use.Roll one ball at a time as thin as you have patience for, using enough flour to prevent sticking. Stack the rolled out dough, with flour sprinkled generously between layers then roll up like a jelly roll. Slice as thin as you like, Unroll and separate the strands, hang over a broomstick to dry. You can store these in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. When ready to use, drop desired amount into hot boiling stock, (soup or whatever) cook until soft. Haven't thought about this for years. Have to make it again. Makes LOTS of noodles!
    Last edited by Cosy; 03-16-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Cosy
    A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever
    http://www.cosyquilt.com

My mom likes to make noodles at holidays. I do them once in awhile, just using the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and different noodle-making methods. Gives me some new ideas.