Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How do I make a homemade pie? >

How do I make a homemade pie?

How do I make a homemade pie?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

I don't know if you're interested in a makes its own crust, but I have a killer Cranberry Nut Pie. It's soooo good and it's sooo easy!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 PM

What kind of pie do you want? I have an old cookbook from my grandma that uses everything you find on a farm.

Here's an easy fool-proof pie crust recipe I use all the time.

Electric-Mixer Pastry
2/3 c vegetable shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco sticks)
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 c. cold water

Place shortening, flour, and salt in mixer bowl. Blend at low speed about 1/2 minute or until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
Add all the water at once and mix on low about 15 seconds, or until dough clings together. Shape into a ball. It should feel moist.

I lightly dust my countertop w/ flour and roll it out. The recipe is for a double crust. I just make one, a bit thicker.

Have fun. Perhaps you'd like to try the green tomato mincemeat pie or deep dish fish pie? :lol:
Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
bj

The only time I made a decent pie crust, I was trying to make flour tortillas...so no help here. I have to use the frozen crusts. It's the filling to me that makes the pie.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM

I always use one of two recipes. I don't know if Tenderflake is available in the US or not, but you can substitute another brand. You don't taste the vinegar once the pastry is baked. This handles well but makes a big batch, you can freeze and use it later though.

Tenderflake's Perfect Pastry

5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 lb. Tenderflake lard
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten
Water
Mix together flour and salt. Cut in lard with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. In a 1-cup measure, combine vinegar and egg. Add water to make one cup. Gradually stir liquid into flour mixture. Add only enough liquid to make dough cling together. Gather into a ball and make six portions. Each is one shell. Freeze portions separately if not required immediately. Thaw at room temperature to use.

My other favorite recipe is Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee. This uses butter, is really easy to handle and makes a smaller batch of pie crust. Here's a link to the recipe.

http://www.marthastewart.com/pate-brisee-pie-dough?rsc=mprc_A_8

As far as fillings, there are all kinds of pie recipes on the internet and I'm sure the good folks here have lots of suggestions as well. Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 AM

Oh my gosh, you guys are so wonderful. I knew that you would come up with some ideas for me.

I have been so busy I am just now getting back to our quiltingboard. I think I will try making a homemade crust first, and then if it fails, I will probably buy the crusts that are already made.

:D
Vanessa
Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 AM

This isn't really a recipe suggestion, but when I roll out pie crusts, I always use a floured pastry cloth. I also put a sleeve on my rolling pin. It just makes life so much simpler. :) Otherwise the crust gets stuck to the rolling pin/counter/everything else!