Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How Do You Organize Online Recipes?

How Do You Organize Online Recipes?

Help!

How do you organize online recipes? I've got to find a way to keep recipes in an orderly way that I can easily access them via the computer. So many great recipes but printing them off is not working for me.

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I copy them and keep them on my computer. I just created a folder for Recipes and either download them directly from the internet or print them out and then scan them for saving on my computer.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I keep mine in treepad free I downloaded online.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Pinterest is how I organize everything--recipes, quilting patterns, fabric dyeing info, soap making, pretty much any interest I have. It has folders you name and then I can pull that info up on my computer, tablet, or, most often, my phone and have it accessible when cooking or creating.

I don't even cook much anymore, but I collect recipes like I am cooking for a dozen! I have a folder for recipes: beverages, cakes, cookies, pasta, etc. etc. Under each category, I have sub-folders: for example, for pasta, I have spaghetti, lasagna, mac and cheese. I have 100s of recipes saved in this manner.

Can you create bookmark folders in your browser once you've downloaded? Or if you just want to keep the link? First level 'recipes' then use sub-folders within that folder for breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert or however it is you want to organize.

Or download and still follow the same process? To me...one needs to think of their computer storage the same as an old-fashioned filing cabinet. The 'folders' essentially are the 'drawers' of the file cabinet; the files within the folders comparable to the file folders in the old world filing cabinet. Can continue to create sub-folders to whatever level you want to specify.

Blog Entries
    I use Pinterest, but you have to remember that the recipe is on another site and if that site goes down you will lose it.

On my OneDrive, I have a recipe folder with sub folders by type, much the way I store recipes in Pinterest.

Recipes
    -Main Dishes
    —Indian
    ——Lamb
    ——Chicken
    —Italian
    ——Sauces
    ——Pasta
    —Middle Eastern

Etc.

Much the same way i save quilting patterns and ideas
    Quilts
    -EPP
    —Hexies
    ——Table Toppers
    ——Wall Quilts
    -Precuts
    —Jelly Rolls
    ——Jelly Roll Race
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I put favorite recipes in a Microsoft Word document.

Alot of times I make changes to the recipe to suit me. That way I don't have to remember how to change the original recipe each time.

It's easy to find a recipe by doing a search for an ingredient.

If I want to share the recipe, I cut and paste it into an email or another website like the Quilting Board.

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    I put favorite recipes in a Microsoft Word document.

Alot of times I make changes to the recipe to suit me. That way I don't have to remember how to change the original recipe each time.

It's easy to find a recipe by doing a search for an ingredient.

If I want to share the recipe, I cut and paste it into an email or another website like the Quilting Board.
    I have a lot of mine in Word Docs also. I have to make a lot of substitutions to accommodate my food sensitivities. Word Docs make that easy.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I put them into a Word cookbook. When I need a recipe I just search it and print the recipe. Once I use one I put that recipe copy into a binder for future use.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    i have a program I purchased called cook'n. was well worth the money. I have collected recipes and family recipes for years. This past year I was able to put on one of those stick drive things and have cook books printed off to give as gifts for family. Cost was $8.00 each. Looks like one of those books that churches have made for fundraisers. this program automatically has spell check and organizes into chapters, and numbers pages and allows you to insert pictures and everything. They all loved it so there are no lost or forgotten recipes.

I print them off and place in a binder for saving. Of course they are organized according to catagory then. We have managed to find several great ones on line and don't want to loose or misplace them.

Thank-you everyone for taking the time to share how you've saved internet recipes.

I'm sorry for the delay in thanking all of you, but life had gotten in the way. Planting flowers as weather, I think,
    is finally warm enough at night without fear of frost here in the Rocky Mountain West. It gets harder the older we get but we sure do enjoy the colorful display that those efforts take.

Again, thank you one and all.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Blog Entries
    I mostly use my tablet in the kitchen (it has a nice stand so it doesn't fall over) so I use an app called "ChefTap" - it allows me to 'clip' recipes from websites and essentially imports them into it's own format. I believe you can use it online as well as on mobile devices as I do. It costs a few $ (not much I don't think) to get a larger # of recipes loaded.
    I like it because you can scale recipes (which I can't do easily in my head), mark things as 'favorites', make shopping lists and edit and make comments too! Not affiliated, just a happy customer.
    *this space for rent*