Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • how do you take the 'music' from dry beans >
  • how do you take the 'music' from dry beans

• how do you take the 'music' from dry beans

Old 03-23-2018, 04:49 AM

My grandmother added a peeled Irish potato during cooking. Removed it when beans were done. She said it took the music out!
    Old 03-23-2018, 06:43 AM

Thanks to all the responses and have printed them out for future use.

I did a test with the flavored baked version yesterday using some baking soda to finished in the slow cooker. NO problems to report so the beans are now safe to take to the pot luck. Am thawing the remaining baked ones to add baking soda and cook in the crock pot for Sunday.
    Old 03-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Baking soda is a wonder worker.
    Old 03-23-2018, 09:40 AM

I have been eating beans all my life, cooking them for 60 years. Here is what/how I do it. I cook about 2lbs of pinto beans every two/three weeks. First the beans must be cleaned, making sure there are no clumps of dirt or little bitty rocks. Then I put them in a large pot, like a soup pot, pour water on them, just enough to cover the beans. With my hand, I slosh them around until the water is very dirty, dump the water out. I do this about three times. Again the fill the pot to just cover the beans, let it sit a minute, and rinse. Add lots of water and put on the stove, allow to come to a boil. Let boil until the water level drops, but not below the beans. And more water, about 4 cups above the beans and simmer for 4/5 hours. Always keeping the water level high. Halfway thru the cooking process, add salt, bacon, bacon fat or bacon grease. It is that slow cooking that releases the gas. When the beans are done, serve yourself a helping in a soup bowl with a pat of butter and a dash of pepper. Don't forget the cornbread.
    Old 03-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Here is my story of gas and beans, 8 of us relatives sat around the table, took the Beano at same time, started eating pinto beans and within 5 minutes we were all making music! Really laughing and making music. Good thing we are family.
    Old 03-23-2018, 06:40 PM

I avoid all of this. I buy canned beans in the jar, rinse really good, bring to boil, rinse again and add more water, ham and seasoning. Cook for a couple of hours. Make cornbread too. Good meal.
    Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by sylviasmom
    I have been eating beans all my life, cooking them for 60 years. Here is what/how I do it. I cook about 2lbs of pinto beans every two/three weeks. First the beans must be cleaned, making sure there are no clumps of dirt or little bitty rocks. Then I put them in a large pot, like a soup pot, pour water on them, just enough to cover the beans. With my hand, I slosh them around until the water is very dirty, dump the water out. I do this about three times. Again the fill the pot to just cover the beans, let it sit a minute, and rinse. Add lots of water and put on the stove, allow to come to a boil. Let boil until the water level drops, but not below the beans. And more water, about 4 cups above the beans and simmer for 4/5 hours. Always keeping the water level high. Halfway thru the cooking process, add salt, bacon, bacon fat or bacon grease. It is that slow cooking that releases the gas. When the beans are done, serve yourself a helping in a soup bowl with a pat of butter and a dash of pepper. Don't forget the cornbread.
    This is how I cook mine too.
    Old 03-24-2018, 07:52 AM

growing up I always heard baking soda, then a few years ago I was told bayleaves, this works great. I also don't put salt in until close to the end so that they get more tender
    Old 03-24-2018, 10:52 AM

I was taught that after soaking, cook with come baking soda for a few minutes and then rinse and put new water and make the beans. It works!
    Old 03-26-2018, 04:37 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I can't help myself:
    There was a senior couple in church one Sunday and the lady couldn't stop the gas. She turned to her husband and whispered, " I just passed gas; it didn't make any noise but I think it smells. What should I do?"
    He said ,"Well, first get your hearing checked!"