Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how do you take the 'music' from dry beans

how do you take the 'music' from dry beans

I cooked some Great Northern dry beans last week and they are the worst ever. The beans were bought last summer and were soaked for 12 hours in plain filtered water. Then put in the InstaPot with a recipe to create baked beans. They taste fine but the after effect was a disaster with major tummy troubles.

How do you use dry beans to actually be edible without the side effect. Planned to take them to my church potluck but as it is now--throw them out.

Help please.

My mom swore that a whole clove of garlic would take care of the problem. By leaving the garlic clove whole, it is easy to fish out of the beans before serving.

try soaking them overnight in salt water, then draining and putting fresh water in to cook them. Should reduce the problem and help older beans cook faster.

I don't have the problem, but I've read that adding baking soda as you cook them helps.

Beano. Chew Beano and there'll Be No gas. At least that's what they say... supposed to help digest the indigestible 'skin' on beans.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I don't have the problem, but I've read that adding baking soda as you cook them helps.
    I always add about a fourth teaspoon of baking soda to my beans when I cook them. It bubbles up when I add it but later when we eat them, our stomachs don't "bubble". I used to cramp after eating beans until someone told me about the baking soda. I usually measure two cups of beans to cook and add the 1/4 tsp. of baking soda after the beans come to a boil. I turn them down, add my salt, pepper and about 1 tsp. of bacon grease and let them simmer until done.

I put Beano right into any beans (baked beans, bean soup, etc.) as they are cooking. It works.

When I sit down to a serving of beans, I add pickle relish to them. For me this takes care of any gas.

l/4 tsp baking soda to the batch of beans when you cook them.

Beeno is an enzyme and good for lots of stomach issues. For white beans add a can of 7 Up, for dark beans add a can of Coke.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Suz
    I, too, use the baking soda. When they cook up and foam, I pour the liquid off, rinse and add fresh water. I do this whether making bean soup or baked beans. Works for me.

However, I came across a recipe for "calico beans" and seem to gravitate to making them rather than from dried beans. So easy!

I use the quick method for preparing dry beans for bean soup and always cook them with about 3 stalks of celery. It's attractive, tasty and I think reduces the possible music. Have had no complaints anyhow!

Reminds me of a joke! This person was sitting at Starbucks when shy noticed there was an onslaught of "music" collecting. Oh, my! --what to do? Well, there was music playing so she chose to expel just a bit of gas with the beat of the music, thinking nobody would hear. Within a time, the person noticed those around her looking her way. Then she realized she had her earbuds in, listening to the music on her own phone!

I have used about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, that's what my mother-in-law did

Sounds like adding baking soda will do the trick BUT can I add it to the flavored beans and cook them a bit more. Was planning to have them in my crock pot to cook/heat and take to church.

Blog Entries
    Adding shredded carrot helps take out the gassiness and the carrot will never be tasted. Depending on amount of beans 1 or 2 carrots.

I have always soaked my dry beans (any kind) in 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Soak all night, pour off water, add clean water and ham, cook until done.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I've heard this and I've done this, to my dh's dismay, lol.
    I guess it worked, but I do take a lot of meds for my tummy anyway.
    I would say, "Do it."
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Blog Entries
    I tried the baking soda in the beans, but could not stand the taste, so I just serve cornbread or corn muffins with beans. Same idea, but tastes much better to me. I pour chili beans right over the cornbread in a bowl. Soda crackers or soda bread would do the same for you.

My DDs tell people “You have to have cornbread with beans, I think it is a law.....”. Lol.
    Several years ago the younger one called me in a panic. “Mom, what did I do wrong? I cooked the beans just like you said, and they tasted good, but now I have horrible gas, and I have to get to work! What do I do?” I asked her how much cornbread she ate, and she said “none, I was not in the mood for it.” I laughed and explained “the law of beans and soda”. I also told her if she dissolved about 1/4 t. Of baking soda in warm water and swallow it, the problem will be fixed. She did, and it did. Lol.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 03-22-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I always take 3 Beano tabs before I eat beans.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Always good to know remedies for getting the boom outta the room!

Blog Entries
    My grandmother added a peeled Irish potato during cooking. Removed it when beans were done. She said it took the music out!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Thanks to all the responses and have printed them out for future use.

I did a test with the flavored baked version yesterday using some baking soda to finished in the slow cooker. NO problems to report so the beans are now safe to take to the pot luck. Am thawing the remaining baked ones to add baking soda and cook in the crock pot for Sunday.

Baking soda is a wonder worker.

I have been eating beans all my life, cooking them for 60 years. Here is what/how I do it. I cook about 2lbs of pinto beans every two/three weeks. First the beans must be cleaned, making sure there are no clumps of dirt or little bitty rocks. Then I put them in a large pot, like a soup pot, pour water on them, just enough to cover the beans. With my hand, I slosh them around until the water is very dirty, dump the water out. I do this about three times. Again the fill the pot to just cover the beans, let it sit a minute, and rinse. Add lots of water and put on the stove, allow to come to a boil. Let boil until the water level drops, but not below the beans. And more water, about 4 cups above the beans and simmer for 4/5 hours. Always keeping the water level high. Halfway thru the cooking process, add salt, bacon, bacon fat or bacon grease. It is that slow cooking that releases the gas. When the beans are done, serve yourself a helping in a soup bowl with a pat of butter and a dash of pepper. Don't forget the cornbread.

Here is my story of gas and beans, 8 of us relatives sat around the table, took the Beano at same time, started eating pinto beans and within 5 minutes we were all making music! Really laughing and making music. Good thing we are family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast