Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
how to get kids to eat spinach >

how to get kids to eat spinach

how to get kids to eat spinach

Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Here is how we got started eating spinach. Smoothies!!!! What kid can pass one of those up...lol. I didn't tell them what they were eating at first. It is green and looks funny, but if you put bananas or strawberries in it, they are so over-powering that you don't taste anything else.
I have the kids' friends try it too when they come over. The deal is that when they go home they have to tell their parents that I make the best spinach!!! Hahaha.
All I do is put about 3 cups of milk, some yogurt, big ol' handfull of spinach, and what ever fruits we have on hand. My kids like strawberries and bananas the best.

So green it matches my kitchen :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170324[/ATTACH]

she doesn't like the flash on the camera :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170328[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170319.jpe   attachment-170320.jpe   attachment-170321.jpe   attachment-170323.jpe  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Google Goddess

great idea, I love spinach
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Our boys always liked spinach and liver, too. Believe it or not what they didn't like was cake. If I made one, I always threw a big share of it away. Maybe I'll try your smoothie on my DH, he doesn't like fresh spinach only cooked. Your kids look happy to be drinking them. :)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Great idea. I'm glad you actually tell them they're eating spinach. I'm sure it's AFTER they gobble down the smoothie. I really hate the old hiding/tricking scheme. If you "hide" all these veggies how will kids learn to like them? I do the tricking too, even with 50+ year old hubby, but honestly, can't they just learn to eat this stuff? It's not hamster brains or dung beetle. Just try it, you might like it. Think of the first person who ate an oyster. What were they thinking?! They're delicious though.

I think spinach got a bad rap with that mushy, grayish canned stuff. And then parents passed on their distaste to their children, so no one ate spinach. Fresh spinach is totally different. Probably the same with any vegetable you hated as a child. Try it again, cooked differently and you might discover you like it now.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

We love spinach raw in salads!!!!! I dont care for it cooked much, but who cn pass up a smoothie, right?!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
Great idea. I'm glad you actually tell them they're eating spinach. I'm sure it's AFTER they gobble down the smoothie. I really hate the old hiding/tricking scheme. If you "hide" all these veggies how will kids learn to like them? I do the tricking too, even with 50+ year old hubby, but honestly, can't they just learn to eat this stuff? It's not hamster brains or dung beetle. Just try it, you might like it. Think of the first person who ate an oyster. What were they thinking?! They're delicious though.

I think spinach got a bad rap with that mushy, grayish canned stuff. And then parents passed on their distaste to their children, so no one ate spinach. Fresh spinach is totally different. Probably the same with any vegetable you hated as a child. Try it again, cooked differently and you might discover you like it now.
My daughter came home with a little sheet where you put a new food to try. You would write it on the sheet and you were given 5 spots to put stickers on. If you tried it 5 times and didn't acquire a taste for it, they said to try again in a year. It's worked for her. She has tried alot of new foods from doing that.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
We love spinach raw in salads!!!!! I dont care for it cooked much, but who cn pass up a smoothie, right?!
I mix the lettuce half and half with spinach. I can slowly just keep adding less lettuce each time and convert everyone to spinach. :)
Smoothies are awesome!!! :)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Heres a new one...try dandelion greens on them. My kids love them, if you pick them young, they tase almost like spinach, but free. Just be sre to find a dog free yard, lol!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Heres a new one...try dandelion greens on them. My kids love them, if you pick them young, they tase almost like spinach, but free. Just be sre to find a dog free yard, lol!
Lol....I will try that. We could just mow the lawn and they can rake up everything for salad. Once dandelion season starts...I don't have much grass that shows. We have an over abundance of that. Thanks. I will be waiting(hopefully not too long) for a green yard. I'll let you guys know how everyone likes it. :)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

My two kids loved spinach until oldest went to school and announced that kids were not suppose to like anything green to eat. LOL. That lasted a few weeks until I had enough of hearing what foods kids were suppose to like or dislike that she was informed of at lunch time.