Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ISO Orange Pastry Cookies

  1. #1
    Member IceLeopard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14

    ISO Orange Pastry Cookies

    Many, many years ago, a square dance friend made the best ... pastry cookies, I guess you'd call them. The dough was rolled out very thin on a sugared counter, sprinkled with more cinnamon sugar, folded and rolled again, repeating until you had about 12 layers. Then they were cut in strips about six inches long, twisted a couple of times, and baked. The sugar formed a wonderful caramelized glaze over them. I had the recipe, but it's gotten lost. All I remember of the ingredients was a whole orange pulverized in the blender. The elderly gentleman who made them is long gone, and of the few original people who remain in that square dance group, no one has the recipe either. I've been looking on the internet for years with various key words, but no luck at all. Does anyone know this one?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Feather3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
    Many, many years ago, a square dance friend made the best ... pastry cookies, I guess you'd call them. The dough was rolled out very thin on a sugared counter, sprinkled with more cinnamon sugar, folded and rolled again, repeating until you had about 12 layers. Then they were cut in strips about six inches long, twisted a couple of times, and baked. The sugar formed a wonderful caramelized glaze over them. I had the recipe, but it's gotten lost. All I remember of the ingredients was a whole orange pulverized in the blender. The elderly gentleman who made them is long gone, and of the few original people who remain in that square dance group, no one has the recipe either. I've been looking on the internet for years with various key words, but no luck at all. Does anyone know this one?
    I found this: http://cookandbemerry.com/twisted-co...lled-in-sugar/

    They are called twisted cookies. I could not find any using an orange. Perhaps you could sub the orange for the liquid ingredients.

    I hope you find your original recipe. Please post it if you do. It sounds yummy.

  3. #3
    Super Member jmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boothbay Maine
    Posts
    5,424
    Blog Entries
    2
    I hate that when that happens...good luck in your search. In the meantime, I think I will try Feather3’s link. They sound yummy too.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

  4. #4
    Super Member meanmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    3,416
    Blog Entries
    1
    Those sound delicious. Yes if you ever find the recipe you must post it. I lost a favorite caramel brownie recipe several years ago. I knew it had been in a certain magazine somewhere in a 3 year span. I spent hours at the library going thru the magazines and found it. I copied it and came home and went to put it away where it belonged. There was the original copy right where it belonged. I know I had searched there numerous times for months.
    Heres to hoping you find it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member johnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    506
    I found this one, but she doesn't use a whole orange just the zest. I'm thinking maybe the whole orange wasn't part of the original recipe but evolved over time, happy accident or something like that. http://www.foodessa.com/2015/03/sour...ry-cookie.html

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan Thumb
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    Those sound delicious. Yes if you ever find the recipe you must post it. I lost a favorite caramel brownie recipe several years ago. I knew it had been in a certain magazine somewhere in a 3 year span. I spent hours at the library going thru the magazines and found it. I copied it and came home and went to put it away where it belonged. There was the original copy right where it belonged. I know I had searched there numerous times for months.
    Heres to hoping you find it.
    Good to hear I am not the only one to look in the right place and not see what I want. Same thing in the grocery store, can NOT see an item, ask for help and it suddenly appears. Now you have two copies for your effort.

  7. #7
    Super Member KalamaQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SW Washington USA
    Posts
    2,373
    with those rolled layers it sounds like phyllo dough. you can buy it in the freezer section at the grocery.

  8. #8
    Senior Member CMARAS1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    341
    Blog Entries
    1
    phyllo does not rise with yeast. puff pastry will though. just saying.
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

  9. #9
    Super Member Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,481
    There is no yeast in puff pastry. It makes the "puff" by creating layers and layers of butter between layers of thin "lean dough".

    This recipe does sound like phyllo.

    Watson

  10. #10
    Member IceLeopard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14
    Thanks, all. I may try that first recipe and see how close it is. Someone on another board suggested brushing orange marmalade on the layers before folding.

  11. #11
    Super Member KalamaQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SW Washington USA
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by CMARAS1234 View Post
    phyllo does not rise with yeast. puff pastry will though. just saying.
    sorry, didn't know the difference.

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    20,103
    The layering sounds a bit like how baklava is made.

    What part of the country are you from? Have you tried church/organization cookbooks?

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,361
    My husband remembers an orange Tang cookie recipe that he love as a kid. Could that be your orange flavor?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Feather3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
    Thanks, all. I may try that first recipe and see how close it is. Someone on another board suggested brushing orange marmalade on the layers before folding.
    If you go to the site I posted & read down thru the replies/posts...you will see that any liquid placed on the rolled out dough or a too warm room will make the sugar melt, causing a mess. I would assume any flavoring or liquid would need to be part of the dough ingredients. The only wet ingredients I see on the recipe are water to activate the yeast, vanilla & sour cream.

    Maybe the recipe you had used a pulverized orange in place of the sour cream? I have no idea if that'd work.
    Last edited by Feather3; 11-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.