Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
ISO - A really good margarita recipe. >

ISO - A really good margarita recipe.

ISO - A really good margarita recipe.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Does anyone have the recipe for a non alcoholic margarita from either Woman's Day or Family Circle that came out a few years back? It was along the side of the page as in an advertisement. I have been out on the internet and there are non alcoholic recipes out there, but not that one and it was the best one I had tasted. Tasted just like a regular margarita, but no alcohol so no hangovers. I had it out to give my sister-in-law a copy and it didn't get put back right away and must have been picked up with some scrap paper and lost, plus she lost her copy as well. It had frozen lime juice, gingerale, and beyond that I can't remember for sure. Was simple to make and ohhhh so good.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 AM

I am so sorry about Cecelia. To date, I have lost Pretty Girl, Mr. Motor, and Crazy Cat. Pretty Girl and Mr. Motor lived very long lives after adopting me.

I learned to make these from a bar tender in Cancun almost 20 years ago. That was such a fun girl trip! Always use GOOD tequila....the taste of your margarita is reflected by the quality of your tequila. I prefer sipping tequilas and their legendary smoothness.

3 parts tequila: 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice: 1 part orange liquer. Mix in shaker with ice, strain into lime and salt rimmed chilled glass. Garnish with lime.

Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 AM

Jalapeno Margarita? I would LOVE to have your recipe. Thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Jalapeno Margarita
First, you need a jalapeno simple syrup:
1 C sugar
1 C water
Rind of one orange - use a potato peeler and try to get as little pith as possible - if you end up with one long continuous strip of rind cut it into about 6 pieces
1-2 fresh jalapenos (depends on how "hot" you like things, if you like really hot add more), sliced into rings
1-2 leaves of fresh basil, if available (or fresh mint leaves, remarkably alike in taste in this application)
Bring water and sugar to a boil, drop in orange rind, jalapenos and optional basil (mint).
Simmer one minute, turn off stove and allow syrup to cool down
Pour entire mixture into a jar and refridgerate. Syrup is good for about a week.
Notes about syrup: is really good on plain greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream; the longer it is the refridgerator the "milder" the jalapenos become; you can double this recipe

For each margarita:

2 oz good tequila
1.5 oz fresh lime juice
1.5 oz jalapeno syrup
one fresh jalapeno sliced into slender rings
optional additional 1-2 leaves of basil (or mint)

In a shaker (jar, martini shaker, whatever you fancy) drop the jalapenos and optional basil. Muddle lightly with the end of a wooden spoon. Fill shaker half way with ice, add all the liquid ingredients and shake vigorously for 5-10 seconds. Pour (if you do not want the bits and pieces from the syrup or the fresh jalapeno pieces - I love these myself- strain when you pour) into lime and salt rimmed glasses

Note - this recipe is based on DH's likes. When I make one for myself I add 2 oz of the syrup.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dreamquilter View Post
One part frozen limeade, one part tequila, two parts Sprite or Mountain Dew. (for instance, 6 oz frozen limeade, 6 oz tequila, and 12 oz Sprite or Mountain Dew). I use diet drinks - I know you're not supposed to, but there's so much sugar in the limeade, I figure it offsets the alcohol enough! The sodas should be cold. Stir and serve over ice. Simple and yummy. Enjoy!
We use this one but instead of the Sprite we use La Croix Lime. Also add a bottle of Corona. Perfect for those Girl's Nights in..Hub doesn't really like them.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Blend together 1 can limeade, 1 can tequila, and 1 can triple sec. Add ice to this to make frozen margaritas. Delicious!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 PM

What is La Croix Lime?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM

This is an easy delicious margarita recipe:

12 oz each:

Bottle of Corona beer
Frozen can of limeaid
Can of 7 up soda
Fill lime aid container with good tequila

Mix together and pour over ice, rim glass with lime and dip rim in salt if desired.

Makes a pitcher and serves six or eight people.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
We love margaritas, and this summer my DH perfected this recipe (in my opinion).

Prepare the glasses by moistening the rim with lime rind then dip it in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of sea salt and sugar. This makes so much difference! We keep a small jar of the mix in the pantry and pour out a little into a saucer as needed.
Prepare a simple syrup by boiling equal parts water and white sugar. Keep it in a bottle in the fridge. It keeps well for weeks.
In a strong blender: pour 8 ice cubes, juice of 1 large lime or 2 small limes, 1 large jigger (1 1/2 oz) Grand Marnier or Cointreau, 2 jiggers (3 oz) silver tequila, 2 jiggers simple syrup. Blend well until frothy. Pour into prepared glasses. Makes two drinks.
If you want the margarita on the rocks, just stir together and pour over the ice. If you prefer the drink more sweet or less sweet, adjust the simple syrup accordingly.

Oh man this sounds good. During the summer your simple syrup could also be used to feed the hummingbirds. Lol. Thanks for sharing. I'm a snowbird heaving to Phoenix for the winter and I will be definitely giving this recipe a try.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Local Mexican restaurant makes the best! Here is my favorite for a Golden Margarita-when the originals are 'too limey'. This is also good with 1800 instead of the Cuervo Gold.
Golden Margarita
2 oz Jose Cuervo Especial
5 oz Jose Cuervo Lime Margarita Mix
1 oz Grand Marnier
Cup of Ice
Sea Salt (fine or larger)
Lime or Orange wedge
Rub rim of large (of course!) chilled glass with the lime or orange and dip into salt. Combine Especial, Margarita Mix and Marnier with ice. Shake vigorously and strain over crushed or rock ice in the garnished glass. Can be halved for a smaller drink.