Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
It's Tamale Time!  Please share your favorite tamale recipes. >

It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Having lived in the south west growing up, you would think I should know how to make them. Nope, my favorite recipe for tamales are the ones I get at Cebolla's, local Mexican restaurant.
I don't blame you. They're probably delicious too. Tamales are a lot of work. We usually spread the tasks over several days, so it's not one big burden on Christmas Eve.

~ C
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Mmmmmmmm! Tamales....I do miss being able to buy really good fresh Tamales at every little market in Texas. I just found out yesterday that I have a neighbor who will custom make them for me at $12 a dozen. Yippee! Fresh Tamales again. He said if I make him some potholders to fit his big hands, he will work a trade! Thank you again grandma, for teaching me to sew, so I can get fresh Tamales. Lol.
*(I did try the canned ones...gag, not the same!)
* I wonder how many potholders I can talk him into accepting......

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-10-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Sweet tamale recipe

1 (8 oz) package of dried corn husks
1/3 c. dark raisins or currents
1/3 c. chopped dried figs
1/2 c apple juice
1/3 c. lard or butter, softened ( you can get the healthy lard at the Mexican groceries butcher, it isn't white. called leaf lard)
3/4 c. sugar
1 pound ground masa for tamales
1/2 c milk at room temperature
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp gr. cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Crema for serving ( Mexican style, table cream
1 mango or papaya, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped for serving
Place the husks in water to cover and simmer ten minutes. remove from heat, weight down with a plate to keep husks submerged and soak 1-2 hours or overnight until completely flexible.
Place raisins and figs into a small pan, cover with apple juice and bring to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
With electirc mixer, beat lard until light and fluffy, about a minute. add sugar and half of the masa and beat until well combined. add alternatively, the mild and remaining masa a bit at a time, until consistency of a thick batter. beat in baking powder, cinnamon and salt for an additional minute. lay out 18 husks or overlap 2-3 small ones for a nice wide surface for each tamale. make ties for the tamales by cutting a few of the remaining husks with scissors.
spread about a 1/3 c. of mixture on each tamale husk, drain raisins and figs and scatter them over the top of each. fold over sides and ends, tie them off.
Line a steamer or a rack fitted into a large pan with corn husks and add tamales. steam over simmering water 2.5 hours or until husks pull away from filling easily. let cool slightly then unwrap and serve with Crema and fruit.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I love Mexican food!!! I don't make it though- we get it out. Yummy.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I think this year we will skip but on and off we do tamales. No real recipe but we like to make beef, chicken and pork tamales with salsa verde. The pork always seems to be the winner. I like to make everything from scratch and put my own broth in the masa.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
I like to make tamales with pork in a red chili sauce I make from California and New Mexico chile powders with some Chocolate Ibarra added in.

For chicken tamales, I use a green chile sauce made by simmering tomatillos, onions, fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and garlic. After I cook it, I blend it and add fresh cilantro.

My vegetarian version is simply jalapenos from a can and jack cheese.

My grandmother used to make sweet tamales with a custard. I sure wish I had that recipe!
Your green chile sauce sounds much like the one I make minus the jalapenos.