Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

It's Tamale Time! Please share your favorite tamale recipes.

Christmas eve means tamales at my house. We usually make up several different kinds and everyone goes home with a bag of them for the freezer. We always do a pork and red chile recipe, a chicken version is always served, there's usually some sort of vegan type s/a chile and corn, or bean, and sometimes we have sweet tamales. Sauces include mole negro, chile verde, and something more offbeat s/a nogada, or pumpkin. Please share any tamale recipe that you have.

~ C

Sorry I don't have any recipes to help. Tamales are really my favorite Mexican food, unless they are green corn. Mmmm
    I really enjoy living in Tucson because you get some of the BEST Mex around. And I enjoy that.

Never even tasted them, that I recall. We did stop in a Tucson grocery store and I heard a woman order 50# of tamale meat. I’m thinking that’s a lot of tamales !

I like to make tamales with pork in a red chili sauce I make from California and New Mexico chile powders with some Chocolate Ibarra added in.

For chicken tamales, I use a green chile sauce made by simmering tomatillos, onions, fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and garlic. After I cook it, I blend it and add fresh cilantro.

My vegetarian version is simply jalapenos from a can and jack cheese.

My grandmother used to make sweet tamales with a custard. I sure wish I had that recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Christmas eve means tamales at my house. We usually make up several different kinds and everyone goes home with a bag of them for the freezer. We always do a pork and red chile recipe, a chicken version is always served, there's usually some sort of vegan type s/a chile and corn, or bean, and sometimes we have sweet tamales. Sauces include mole negro, chile verde, and something more offbeat s/a nogada, or pumpkin. Please share any tamale recipe that you have.

~ C
    No recipe but would you consider adopting me? Just kidding! Living in the land of little cultural diversity, the only option for me are the canned tamales.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    Having lived in the south west growing up, you would think I should know how to make them. Nope, my favorite recipe for tamales are the ones I get at Cebolla's, local Mexican restaurant.

Blog Entries
    I have never made tamales. I love them and would love a recipe. I love to cook and try making new things. This is why my clothes are all getting tight.

mac
    America's Test Kitchen had a show on making tamales. You can find it on the internet. Sorry, but that is the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
    I like to make tamales with pork in a red chili sauce I make from California and New Mexico chile powders with some Chocolate Ibarra added in.

For chicken tamales, I use a green chile sauce made by simmering tomatillos, onions, fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and garlic. After I cook it, I blend it and add fresh cilantro.

My grandmother used to make sweet tamales with a custard. I sure wish I had that recipe!
    Please elaborate on the sweet tamales with a custard. That sounds delicious! More details please. Maybe we can come up with our own recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
    No recipe but would you consider adopting me? Just kidding! Living in the land of little cultural diversity, the only option for me are the canned tamales.
    Yes! I'll adopt you! You poor thing. I can't even imagine having to eat canned tamales. I've never even seen them in the stores before.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Having lived in the south west growing up, you would think I should know how to make them. Nope, my favorite recipe for tamales are the ones I get at Cebolla's, local Mexican restaurant.
    I don't blame you. They're probably delicious too. Tamales are a lot of work. We usually spread the tasks over several days, so it's not one big burden on Christmas Eve.

~ C

Blog Entries
    Mmmmmmmm! Tamales....I do miss being able to buy really good fresh Tamales at every little market in Texas. I just found out yesterday that I have a neighbor who will custom make them for me at $12 a dozen. Yippee! Fresh Tamales again. He said if I make him some potholders to fit his big hands, he will work a trade! Thank you again grandma, for teaching me to sew, so I can get fresh Tamales. Lol.
    *(I did try the canned ones...gag, not the same!)
    * I wonder how many potholders I can talk him into accepting......
    Last edited by madamekelly; 12-10-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Sweet tamale recipe

1 (8 oz) package of dried corn husks
    1/3 c. dark raisins or currents
    1/3 c. chopped dried figs
    1/2 c apple juice
    1/3 c. lard or butter, softened ( you can get the healthy lard at the Mexican groceries butcher, it isn't white. called leaf lard)
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 pound ground masa for tamales
    1/2 c milk at room temperature
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp gr. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    Crema for serving ( Mexican style, table cream
    1 mango or papaya, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped for serving
    Place the husks in water to cover and simmer ten minutes. remove from heat, weight down with a plate to keep husks submerged and soak 1-2 hours or overnight until completely flexible.
    Place raisins and figs into a small pan, cover with apple juice and bring to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
    With electirc mixer, beat lard until light and fluffy, about a minute. add sugar and half of the masa and beat until well combined. add alternatively, the mild and remaining masa a bit at a time, until consistency of a thick batter. beat in baking powder, cinnamon and salt for an additional minute. lay out 18 husks or overlap 2-3 small ones for a nice wide surface for each tamale. make ties for the tamales by cutting a few of the remaining husks with scissors.
    spread about a 1/3 c. of mixture on each tamale husk, drain raisins and figs and scatter them over the top of each. fold over sides and ends, tie them off.
    Line a steamer or a rack fitted into a large pan with corn husks and add tamales. steam over simmering water 2.5 hours or until husks pull away from filling easily. let cool slightly then unwrap and serve with Crema and fruit.

I love Mexican food!!! I don't make it though- we get it out. Yummy.

I think this year we will skip but on and off we do tamales. No real recipe but we like to make beef, chicken and pork tamales with salsa verde. The pork always seems to be the winner. I like to make everything from scratch and put my own broth in the masa.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post

Your green chile sauce sounds much like the one I make minus the jalapenos.
    Anna Quilts