Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
just for fun >

just for fun

just for fun

Old 08-08-2016, 10:22 AM

JustJan, I had one of the original Rival Crock Pots, early 70's, for 20 years. Then it wore out. LOL Rival is really the only one who can use Crock Pot in it's labeling, they invented it. But I still loved it, even with it being a one piece. Now I have a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker 2-piece and love the fact the crock is removable. However it is now old too so it does cook pretty much like my old Rival. I also have a newer Rival Oval Crock Pot, the crock comes out of it too and it cooks very well also. I do everything from desserts to soup in them. Being in FL, love the fact they don't heat the kitchen up very much. In the winter, my favorite is French Onion Soup, better than any restaurant's out there. Beef, pork and chicken all are done so tender.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
It is pretty warm and I don't want to use the oven, plus I had to use the self clean function and I don't want to dirty it up too soon.

I tried two experiments with crock pot cooking. 1. I used a crockpot liner (love them) for the first experiment. I took a can of apple pie filling and put in the crock pot as my first layer. I took a angel food cake mix and sprinkled over the filling, added a little liquid (not confident on how the angel cake was going to cook without a little liquid). I used a fresca soft drink, no more than a quarter of a cup probably. Dotted top with butter, and cooked on high. Probably at least four hours, but all crockpots are different. I used a thermometer to make sure it was done inside (read it should be at least 205 degrees farenheit). I never thought it would hold together but it did.

One of the recipes called for a caramel topping. So I took a 14 oz can condensed sweetened milk, transferred to a small canning jar, with the sealing lids. Put it in the crockpot on its side (I have an oval shaped crockpot so it is not very tall). Covered with water. Cooked on low overnight. It is cooling right now, but it is the perfect caramel color.

Just passing it on. I have a couple of steaks in the crockpot now, with the onion soup mix and gravy mix that should be done by noon or so.
Hope they turn out too.

Serita
More crockpot fun. I made crockpot pumpkin bread and it is wonderful. My normal bread loaf would not fit so I used one of those 5 x 7 inches or so aluminum tin foil pans. Fit great and the pumpkin bread is moist but holds together nicely. Recipe from http://wannabite.com/crockpot-pumpkin-bread/