Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Keeping iced tea overnight??? >

Keeping iced tea overnight???

Keeping iced tea overnight???

Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 PM

I just love iced tea with mint leaves. boil some water and put a bunch of mint leaves in let cool Add this to a gallon of sun tea. The more mint the better for me.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
My husband makes tea with tea bags and hot tap water. He just lets it sit on the counter for a few hours 'til it's cool and dark, and then into the frig. There is nothing better than an Arnold Palmer - 1/3 to 1/2 lemonade and the rest tea. Oooh, I could go for one now.
That reminds me, I occasionally add a Tbs or two of orange juice to a glass of iced tea...try it, it's good with a little bit of sweetener. It looks rusty though, but no problem for me.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM

We had no trouble keeping sweet tea refrigerated overnight, but never kept unsweet. It was always brewed, never instant
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by donnamcr View Post
I come from a long line of iced tea drinkers, die-hard. We drink it unsweet. Reputedly, my daddy's family drank iced tea year around, which was apparently unusual for a farm family before the advent of electric refrigerators.

These days, we enjoy one small Ginger Peach black tea decaffeinated tea bag (Republic of Tea) for each family size decaffeinated black pekoe tea (Tetley or Lipton). I just serve it and don't say it's decaffeinated. They can't tell the difference. Using decaffeinated, flavored, tea bags would scandalize my daddy (who, thankfully, isn't here to see it). :-0
I love Republic of Tea's Honey Ginseng Green Tea..It is just kind of pricey, but it different than any tea I have tried from the supermarket.

Serita
Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Default refrigerating ice tea

Like a lot of you, we drink tea all year round. My trick for great tasting tea that tastes even better the next day without getting cloudy is: I use a family size tea of LIpton tea and I add 1 single serving package of earl grey tea and bew the same as usual. Sweeten as usual also. If there is any left, I will refrigerate in either a glass covered container or a plastic container with a lid that has ONLY been used for iced tea. It taste better the next day without being cloudy and has a wonderful flavor
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM

We don't like leftover iced tea or refrigerated tea. We like it freshly made and nearly always drink all of it in one day.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Its so funny how different we all our in making our beloved Tea We like our ice tea unsweetened

Mostly I make sun tea 1gallon glass container filled with filtered water 12 tea bags and sunshine 4-8 hours. When I bring it in and remove the tea bags I leave it on the counter till its cool or room temp before putting it in the fridge. It will last 48 hours easy without getting cloudy. I have also found if I use just off the boil water I only need 8-9 tea bags again if I let it cool on the counter before refrigerating it does not get cloudy.

I have never heard of using baking soda in tea.
I just started making Sun Tea again. I have a gallon glass container and I put 8 small bags of Lipton tea and 2 bags of Sweet & Spicy herbal tea by Good Earth into container. I get the direct sunlight in the afternoon and bring it in at sunset. I have never heard of putting baking soda in tea. It last me a couple of days. Don't have any problem with bitterness. Keep it in the fridge. Guess it is time to bring it in. It has been VERY hot in So CA. It is cooling down but after tomorrow, it is once again going to be in the 90s again next week. Since this is September/October weather, we just might be in for a VERY long HOT summer !!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM

I make ice tea year around. It's mostly what I drink. I heat a gallon of water in the microwave for 10 minutes. I use a gallon tupperware pitcher. Put the sugar in, then pour the hot water over it, stir & add the tea bags. I use Celestial Seasonings herbal tea. I let the bags in & toss them when my tea is all gone. My tea is never cloudy or has a bad taste the next day or after.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM

I always put a pinch of soda in my Tea, keeps it clear.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Default baking soda for Iced Tea

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Never heard of using baking soda in the tea...........what does it do besides keeping it clear and darker???????
My mom said the baking soda in hot water as you steep the tea bags
will take the bitter taste out of the tea......Love it ..........over night
in the refrigerator is the way I like it. It taste more like tea the next
day