Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Lemon Curd >

Lemon Curd

Lemon Curd

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
PrettyKitty, I now have ANOTHER way to eat cheese! LOL! Nothing in the world like English sharp cheddar. Do you make Welsh Rarebit as well?
You know what Loretta, if someone asked me what three foods I could keep, but had to get rid of everything else, I would say ...

CHEESE
POTATOES
BREAD

Cheese ROCKS!

Unfortunatley I am dieting at the moment, so cheese is a big no no, and it is the only thing I am missing.

I have never actually made Welsh Rarebit...we (my family an I) have always been a big fan of plain old cheese on toast....two slices of white bread,toasted, then thick cut cheese to cover it and melted under the grill, then lashings of ketchup or brown sauce, whatever you prefer. YUM!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Originally Posted by Loretta
PrettyKitty, I now have ANOTHER way to eat cheese! LOL! Nothing in the world like English sharp cheddar. Do you make Welsh Rarebit as well?
You know what Loretta, if someone asked me what three foods I could keep, but had to get rid of everything else, I would say ...

CHEESE
POTATOES
BREAD

Cheese ROCKS!

Unfortunatley I am dieting at the moment, so cheese is a big no no, and it is the only thing I am missing.

I have never actually made Welsh Rarebit...we (my family an I) have always been a big fan of plain old cheese on toast....two slices of white bread,toasted, then thick cut cheese to cover it and melted under the grill, then lashings of ketchup or brown sauce, whatever you prefer. YUM!
You guys are after my heart! Potatoes and bread are my favorites! I love cheese, too but I don't WANT to live without potatoes and bread. The bread I like BESTare the artisan breads, crusty Italian, Foccia (spelled wrong...glad I don't have to know how to spell it to eat it! :lol: ), cheese and olive breads, herbed breads, lots of grain and seed-type breads. I'm dyin here! Just made some new jam and jelly yesterday, think I've written myself into an English Muffin with peanutbutter and new jelly! I'm headin for the kitchen! Back in a bit!
:-)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Mmmmmm yes, it is a British favourite, especially with this Brit! I always have a jar in my fridge and prefer it to jam. FOr some reason it is nice with cheese. I use to sandwich my Victoria Sponge cakes together instead of jam too.
Hi PrettyKitty: We, too are using the curd in place of jam. Haven't tried it with cheese so I'm going to do that. Do you sweeten the cream cheese? I've hurd of "clotted cream" (which I think must be like cream cheese) and curd. Do you make your own curd or do you buy it? I haven't seen it in our stores as "curd." We can buy cans of "lemon pudding/pie filling" but the curd seems to have a completely different taste and texture. I do love both.

I made a lemon cake recently and used the curd between the layers of the cake and just spooned sliced fresh strawberries that were sweetened with a bit of sugar and a bit of whip cream over the cake... To die for!!!! is how good that was.

I also made a sugar cookie recipe and lined the tiny muffin cups with cookie dough and baked the cookie and just before serving I added the lemon curd with just a bit of whip cream and it was wonderful. I'll do that again but you can't add the curd until just before serving as the cookie soaks up the moisture and won't hold together if you assemble the dessert too early.
When I was a farm girl in indiana in the 1940's we had a Jersey cow. My mom used to get a thick light tan cream from her milk, that was wonderful - and I think very like the clotted cream that I loved in the UK.
jEANNIE