Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Let's Talk Low Carb! >

Let's Talk Low Carb!

Let's Talk Low Carb!

Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by lovecreating View Post
I had purchased Beyond Diet. It isn't a diet at all, it is a lifestyle of eating. It incorporates much of what Rose_P stated above and goes into more about using organics abstaining from sugars. I was one who ate little and wondered why I was a bit chubby, after all I didn't eat much. I wasn't much of a meat eater but was more a carb eater. When I followed the Beyond Diet (beyonddiet.com), I was eating far more quantity of food than ever, was actually having to make myself eat those meals some times, and yet I was losing weight without changing anything else (no exercise). I highly recommend it, nothing strange about it - no fads just good, clean, simple, foods. (Like Rose_P stated - the outer perimeter of the store - the perishables) Nothing processed. Her website has tons of recipes and even snacks. It does incorporate Stevia instead of sugar. Stevia is a natural sweetener derived from a leaf. It has a low glycemic index so you don't crave more carbs. The dietary sweeteners that they have out on the market are considered toxic for us. Anyway, I'm sending along this info because it made me feel more energetic and made me lose weight without trying. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for posting this. I think I will go the BeyondDiet route!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 AM

I have been doing low carb for 2-3 years with good success. One additional hint I would give you is to watch salt intake. And drink lots of water. Dr. Oz has a 2-week quick weight loss diet on his website that I did for 10 days and lost 7 pounds. I needed something to get me back to watching what I eat. Good Luck. there are lots of good low carb hints around.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 AM

Anyone thinking about low carb needs to think again. Carbs get a bad wrap because there are two kinds. There are carbs that are refined and processed into "foods" which are full of sugar, lack fiber and usually have saturated fat used in the preparation. These cause or contribute to the major chronic diseases (obesity, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.)that are bankrupting our healthcare system. Then there are the carbs in legumes, starchy vegetables and whole grains, which are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, sufficient protein, essential fats and all the good stuff our body needs for health.

You can lose weight and gain health by throwing out the concept is dieting and following a program like the one at http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/ed...ugall-program/. I was always able to lose weight on "diets", but never able to maintain the loss. My peak weight was 230 lbs. I have been following a program like McDougle's for the past three years. My weight is 118 lbs. and my health has improved remarkably. I have the support of many friends who have embraced the same lifestyle. We get together once a week for a potluck where we share new recipes and encourage one another.

Education is an important component of the program, since most of what we hear in the popular media is usually slanted by people or interest groups trying to make a buck. The greatest part is that I follow a few simple guidelines. I do not count calories or measure food. I simply read labels and prepare most of my own food in batches large enough to freeze for future use.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:50 PM

I am on low carb also and what I love most about it is after the initial induction process I am not having the cravings for carbs that used to haunt me all the time, I am not hungry between meals, and I can see doing this for a long long time. That being said, I have dieted all my life, have low thyroid, and am NOT what you would consider an active person. Also age has caught up to me at 64 and I want to go into the last part of my life without carrying around an extra 35 pounds. If you were to leave good bread and a good cookie on the counter I would eat the bread and leave the cookie. I am a baker so I can play with the recipes I have and improvise to still be able to find acceptable alternatives to some of the things I have been accustomed to serving my family (now only DH and me). I cannot however introduce grains back into my diet without gaining weight. Not even on a small scale. I suggest you find Low Carb Friends online and join (no charge). You will find lots of different programs represented, thousands of recipes, and just good advice and support. If you have questions post them and someone will answer and Good Luck! I have lost 10 pounds since Jan 1st which is less than I have been in 10 years. It is coming off very slowly compared to others but it is coming off. I have a birthday this week and I know DH is going to take me to lunch at my favorite place which serves hushpuppies (my all time favorite luxury) but I am already practicing saying NO and will stick to it! Ann
Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM

My favorite is a green curry loaded with vegetables and served with garlic quinoa finished with a drizzle of sesame oil. I get Hand brand green curry paste from ImportFood.com, and I sweeten with stevia, use regular coconut milk, chicken broth, and lime juice.

I use low carb tortillas to make wraps with provolone cheese, deli chicken, black forest ham, organic baby spinach, craisens, sunflower seeds, fresh ground black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM

I located the quote by Michael Pollan, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants," and here's an article he wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/ma...anted=all&_r=0

I love the distinction he makes between "food" and stuff that pretends to be food but isn't. I probably need to read this every time I sit down to make a grocery list.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Try looking at about.com - low carb, there are alot of great receipes. Have been doung a no carb diet since mid december and have lostt 22 lbs! Love fried kale in an egg white omlet and spagetti squash!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

Try http://www.sewmanyways.blogspot.com/ posted a no carb cheese snack this week. It is simple piles of shredded cheese baked in the oven on parchment paper to make cheese chips. Look tasty!

Last edited by Tartan; 02-16-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM

Well, I finally decided to share and ask for encouragement. I have to have hip surgery and drs won't do it til I lose about 30 pounds. I've had success before with the South Beach program (lost about 25 lbs the fall of '12 and have kept it off) so decided to do it again. But it's just not cutting it this time. I feel so discouraged and depressed about the whole thing. Am dealing with leg and hip pain which makes getting food and prepping it a challenge. My daily sked is strange too....to bed very late and up late so don't get in 3 meals and 3 snacks which I'm sure is part of the problem. Very sedentary--also bad. Reading all the posts have thought about trying Dr Oz's 2 wk program to hopefully get a jump start.

The last Dr. I went to urged me to try going Vegan (he's a passionate Vegan); I checked out his ref books, Forks over Knives and China Study and their cookbooks. I'm impressed but don't think I can go this far right now.....am thinking Vegetarian is very do-able but can I lose the weight on it? Mobility is very difficult and trying to find all I'd need for Vegan seems beyond doing. Checked out McDougall's site and it's pretty much Vegan, right? Paleo is not for me.

I guess that maybe things will look brighter in a few days--55 tomorrow, ice gone so can get out of the apt. to go to the grocery. I liked South Beach....missed some things but it's seemed balanced and did work for awhile. Weight Watchers has been suggested and I'm resisting it but will go ahead and check it out. Got some Atkins frozen dinners to use when didn't feel like cooking and just add veggies. I know there're no easy answers but with dealing with the pain and all, things get overwhelming. I started a quilt around Christmas for my little 2 yr old BFF next door and haven't been able to finish it, which only depresses more.

I love the QB and all the help it gives in many different areas. I'm sorry to be and sound so down but just feel kind of hopeless now.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM

Pollytink,
Do you have a pool available locally, say at the Y or a medical facility rehab center? A few years ago I had back problems and they wanted to do some back surgery but said I would have to lose some weight first. The pool was the only thing they recommended for exercise and it was excruciating to get there but once in the pool most of the pain from weight bearing was completely gone. I got to the point that I actually looked forward to going because for the time I was there I felt much better. I did get some weight off in the process but because of the improvement in the way I felt I opted not to have the surgery done and so far the improvement has been permanent. I have come to the conclusion though that it would be of general benefit to my overall health to loose another 30 pounds and I am working on that. It isn't happening quickly but it is happening. I would also recommend a site like low carb friends where you will find information and encouragement. There is no charge and there are at least 15 different programs represented there. One of them is South Beach. They can be found here. Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon! Ann in TN