Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Lettuce keeper? >

Lettuce keeper?

Lettuce keeper?

Old 10-28-2017, 01:26 PM

JaneQuilter...thanx for the evaluation info on lettuce keepers.....seems I just better eat more salad when I buy the romaine......
Old 10-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I still have a very old plastic one but recently bought a bag off Amazon. solid green bag with string closure. not too sure how good it is. used it but we used the lettuce up not too long after.
I have some of those see through green bags from the store. not tried them on lettuce. may do that.

Last edited by nativetexan; 10-28-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:06 PM

My mom taught that a head of lettuce will keep longer if you do the following when you bring it home from the store:

Drop it hard on a counter to break the core. Then tear the core away with a hard twist. Toss the core.
Rinse the leaves under cold water, then dry thoroughly with paper towels.
Don't tear your lettuce into smaller pieces till ready to use. The leaf edges brown first. Less work to tear brown spots off large leaves than small ones.
Store in fridge, in a covered plastic bowl.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:52 AM

Tupperware makes a collection of containers called Fridgesmart. they have little buttons that control the moisture content of the inside. I have one of the old round models that I use for lettuce and it will keep several weeks. It is just me and like you, I don't eat salad every day but love the leaf lettuce. I have also found that if I buy the lettuce any variety whole and not cut up in those bags, it lasts a lot longer.
here is a link to one like I have on ebay....
https://www.ebay.com/i/182842289935?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Old 10-29-2017, 04:50 AM

Murphy234---that fridge smart line looks like it might be the solution..I like the rectangular ones...but I'll have to measure the length of a romaine leaf lettuce to make sure I get the right size......

about head lettue...yes that's true, but now I buy romaine or other leafy types and there really isn't a "core" or tight-leafed like head lettuce.....
Old 10-29-2017, 05:17 AM

I just recently bought a Princess House container that keeps vegetables and fruits fresh. I was a little skeptic at first that it would work but it did. I put the lettuce in the container and I still had fresh lettuce almost 3 weeks later
Old 10-29-2017, 07:19 AM

I find butter lettuce lasts much longer in the fridge, packaged or by the head. And we love it.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:53 AM

I have one of these and use it all the time. Either for cole slaw ingredients or green salad. Doesn't take up that much room. Other than that I just buy in the little plastic bags and after opening use a clamp to close them.
Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Tupperware makes a collection of containers called Fridgesmart. they have little buttons that control the moisture content of the inside. I have one of the old round models that I use for lettuce and it will keep several weeks. It is just me and like you, I don't eat salad every day but love the leaf lettuce. I have also found that if I buy the lettuce any variety whole and not cut up in those bags, it lasts a lot longer.
here is a link to one like I have on ebay....
https://www.ebay.com/i/182842289935?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Old 10-29-2017, 10:31 AM

There are just the 2 of us and we have a hard time keeping it fresh. I have used a Tupperware bowl that was given to me for Christmas and it works pretty good.I saw a Rubbermaid container at Target(think it is called Freshkeeper)Of course I had to buy it.I like to clean and cut up my romaine when I bring it home.Can't say so far that $16 for it was worth it! I find it best to wash wrap in a dishtowel and put in the frig for acouple of hours then take it out and cut some andput in Tupperware and the rest in a zip lock bag with papertowel(uncut) wow I was long winded wasn't I Deeleigh
Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 AM

I saw in Good Housekeeping years ago that quoted Martha Stewart saying to wrap your veggies in Aluminum Foil. It keeps Lettuce 3 weeks and it is still fresh. Love it!
Mariah