Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for a few good scallop recipes?

I have never cooked scallops before any suggestions?
    Need a few good recipes.

Banned
    Same here. My fiance is from the upper northwest and loves seafood. Here in KS we get frozen instead of fresh and scallops are something I've never tried before.

Bebe, I have a very good casserole recipe that I will dig out. I made it the first time I had DH over for dinner and it won his heart!!!! The broccoli/cauliflower salad I made that night is also his favorite.....LOL

Don't get any ideas ladies - my father ate with us too, becuase he was living with me at the time!!! (I was 49 and the stories I could tell......)

Scallop Casserole

2 oz uncooked spaghetti cooked
    8 oz of fresh small scallops or large scallops cut in half
    3 TBLS margarine or butter (I use butter)
    2 TBLS of flour
    1/4 tsp of salt (I don't use)
    Dash pepper (I use more)
    1 cup half and half
    2 TBLS of white wine (if desired - I don't use)
    2.5 oz jar of mushrooms, drained
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    2 TBLS grated parmesan cheese (I do not use out of the can - use shredded from cheese isle.)

Cook spaghetti to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain, rinse with hot water.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 individual casseroles (about 2 cups each) (I use a 2 quart of larger casserole, depending on how much I am making) Thoroughly rinse scallops in cold water; drain. In 8" skillet melt 1 TBLS margarine or butter. Add scallops; saute scallops over medium high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until opaque. Remove scallops; set aside. In same pan melt remaining 2 TBLS margarine or butter. Add flour salt and pepper, blend well. Add half n half all at once. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly (a must). Add scallops, wine, mushrooms and peas; heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. Spoon hot spaghetti evenly into prepared dishes. Spoon scallop mixture on top of spaghetti; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until light brown and bubbly around the edges. 2 servings.

Still making spelling corrections Loretta - so re-read! Think I got them all now, but any questions - ask.

lol! I thought you meant scalloped potatoes! LOL that's what I get for not eating seafood! :D

My daughters will not touch seafood at all and my son is so allergic, it would kill him.

They say childhood disliked is can often be linked to an allergy, since I'm the only one in my family that doesn't like it... and hasn't liked it ever (and in a huge family of shrimp lovers, that stands out). I have a list of things I'm allergic to, so I just stear away... Not worth the risk of a big allergy for something I don't even like.

Sorry I butted in all off topic. :oops: :roll: :shock:

depending on what kind of scallops, you could just lightly bread them in a dish, put in some melted butter and bake them.
    I make the calico scallops that way (the little ones)
    Well, WHEN I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for them. Haven't had GOOD seafood since we left CT

Pacific Scallop Casserole from the Sunshine Coast Seafood Book

1 pound scallops
    2 TBSP green onion (chopped)
    1 can (10 oz) cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup fine bread crumbs, buttered

- Place scallops & onions in casserole
    - Mix soup & wine & pour over scallops. Top with bread crumbs.
    - Bake in 450* F oven for 20 mins. or until bubbly.

I've made this same recipe with a mix of scallops, shrimps & oysters and also with just shrimp...it's easy & yummy.

My all time favourite- Scallop Sauté with Sambuca & Vegetables from Cooks Afloat! Cookbook

2 TBSP butter
    1 LB scallops
    2 cups vegies (diced) any combo of carrots, leeks, celery, tomato, zucchini, mushroom, shallots
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/4 cup Sambuca
    salt & pepper to taste
    2 tsp cornstarch
    1\2 cup of 2% evaporated milk

Melt butter in skillet. Sauté the scallops until they are half cooked (4-5 min). Set them aside. Then sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes. Add the white wine & Sambuca and continue cooking for a further 3 minutes. Add the scallops, salt & pepper & cook for 5 minutes. Blend the cornstartch into the milk, then add it to the pan & cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Serve immediately over rice. Serves 4.

Thanks ladies for the recipes. :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D
    Where is the brocolli, cauliflower salad recipe?

Bebe, didn't get your pm until now. On the way out the door to the doctors....again, so will post it when I get back.

Broccoli/Cauliflower Salad

1 head cauliflower – broken into florets
    5 or 6 broccoli crowns – separated
    1 green pepper – chopped
    1 red onion – chopped
    ľ cup sun flower seeds – if desired

1 cup mayonnaise
    ˝ cup sugar (I use more - like it sweet)
    1/3 cup vinegar
    ˝ cup oil (canola)

Combine the vegetables, and pour the dressing over and mix in well. Add sun flower seeds just before serving.

Mix the night before or early day so vegetables can marinate in the refrigerator.

Try this one bebe, nice and light and easy:

Seared Scallops with Tropical Salsa (appetiser)
    INGREDIENTS – serves 4
    • 80 g diced fresh pineapple
    • 80 g diced fresh mango
    • 65 g peeled and diced cucumber
    • 75 g diced red pepper
    • handful chopped fresh coriander
    • 20 ml fresh lime juice
    • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 455 g sea scallops, rinsed and drained
    1. Combine the pineapple, mango, cucumber, bell pepper, bell pepper, coriander, lime juice and jalapeno. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
    2. Heat a large, nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Add half of the scallops to the pan; sear until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a warmed plate while cooking the remaining scallops.
    3. Spoon the salsa over the scallops, and serve immediately.

Or this one:
    Seared Scallops with Asparagus & Saffron Vinaigrette (appetiser: serves 4)

Ingredients
    • 12 large scallops
    • asparagus spears (6 each)
    • Clarified butter for frying
    For The Saffron Vinaigrette
    • 250ml white wine
    • 75ml Chardonnay vinegar
    • 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
    • 1 dessert spoon castor sugar
    • 50mls good quality olive oil
    Method
    1. Make the saffron vinaigrette. Pour wine, vinegar and saffron in a pan over a low heat and bring to the boil. Reduce by 2/3. Add sugar to dissolve and cool. Add olive oil. This can be kept for up to 6 months in fridge.
    2. Let scallops come to room temperature.
    3. Heat two pans till hot but not smoking. Sauté the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes the first side 1 minute for the second. Place into a bowl with the saffron dressing.
    4. Do the same for the asparagus they may take a little longer to cook, depending on the size.
    5. Place asparagus on centre of the plate crossing over each other.
    6. Put scallops on top of asparagus and drizzle plate with dressing.

Simple Scallops Supreme

Ingredients
    2 lb Alaska Scallops
    4 oz canned Mushrooms
    1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1/4 cup Sherry
    1/2 tsp Tarragon
    Bread Crumbs (topping)
    grated Cheese (topping)

Directions
    Combine all ingredients except toppings, cutting large scallops in half, and place on individual baking shells or a shallow rectangular casserole dish. Sprinkle with medium layers of bread crumbs and grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serving Size: 6.

Scallops with Caramelized Cauliflower

Ingredients:

12 large Scallops
    1/2 head of Cauliflower, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
    1/2 cup Water
    1/2 cup Raisins
    1/2 cup Capers
    1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
    grated Nutmeg
    Salt and Cayenne Pepper
    approximately 1 Tbsp Butter

Directions:

In a small saucepan, cook water, raisins and capers until raisins are plump, about 5 minutes. Pour mixture into blender and add vinegar, nutmeg, salt and pepper, blend just until smooth. Set sauce aside. In a sauté pan, heat butter and sauté cauliflower until golden on both sides. To prevent cauliflower from burning, if necessary, add about 1 tablespoon of water to pan during cooking. Set cauliflower aside. In a separate pan, sauté scallops in a little bit of butter, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. To serve, place 3 scallops on each plate, top with cauliflower and finish with the caper-raisin emulsion. Servings: 4.

Oven Fried Scallops

Ingredients:

1 lb Alaska Scallops, cut into quarters
    1/3 cups seasoned dried Bread Crumbs
    or seasoned crushed Flake Corn
    3 Tbsp low fat Buttermilk
    1/2 tsp ground Thyme

Directions:

Preheat oven to 500F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, combine scallops and buttermilk, turning to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to marinate. In small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs (or corn flake crumbs) and thyme. Dredge each scallop in crumb mixture, coating both sides. Arrange scallops on baking sheet. Bake carefully turning scallops over until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Servings: 4.

Scallop Salad

Ingredients:

1 to 2 lb Alaska Scallops
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Garlic clove

Dressing Ingredients:
    juice of 1 Lemon
    1/2 cup Oil
    1 Clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp Ginger, fresh, grated
    1 Tbsp Sesame Oil

Salad Ingredients:
    Lettuce
    Red Pepper, julienned
    fresh whole Cilantro
    Mushrooms

Directions:

Mix dressing ingredients and let sit while preparing the rest of the dish. Arrange on each plate a bed of lettuce, mushrooms on either end with heads pointing out, sprinkle red peppers from center out (like spokes of a wheel) and arrange whole cilantro amongst the peppers. Sauté the scallops in the olive oil and garlic until just done. Drain and then pile in the middle of each plate. Pour dressing over top and serve immediately. Yields 6 servings.

Scallop Salad

Ingredients:

1 lb fresh Alaska Scallops
    3 cups assorted Baby Greens
    1 head Radicchio, chopped
    3/4 cup virgin Olive Oil
    4 clove Garlic, minced
    2 medium ripe Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
    Salt and Pepper

Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette Ingredients:
    1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 cup virgin Olive Oil
    Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Arrrange greens on 6 chilled plates. Distribute radicchio equally. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp vinaigrette over each salad. Heat oil in skillet and sauté scallops until opaque, about 1 minute. Reduce heat and add garlic and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 minute. Place scallop mixture on top of radicchio. Serve scallop salad with vinaigrette.

Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette Directions:
    Combine with a whisk. Season with salt and pepper.

Scallops Zinfandel

Ingredients:
    8 Scallops
    1/2 cup Zinfandel White Wine
    2 Tbsp chopped Onions
    Salt and Pepper
    1 Tbsp chopped Parsley
    Plain Crackers
    1 clove Garlic, minced

Directions:
    Rinse scallops briefly and cut large ones in half. Place scallops in a baking dish and pour the Zinfandel wine over them. Sprinkle with chopped onions, garlic, and crumbled crackers. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15 minutes in oven at 350 degrees. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serves 2.

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would throw in how we do our Scallops. My husband is a Scuba Diver and we get fresh Rock Scallops.

Bacon Wrapped Scallop Skewers

Thin bacon cut in half
    Scallops cut to desired size for skewering
    Metal skewers

Wrap scallops in bacon and put on skewers. We usually do it on the grill, but you can do in under the broiler too. Just make sure it is far enough away from the burner that you don't burn or overcook. (That's why we use thin bacon. It cooks faster.) Just keep turning until the bacon is done. You don't want to overcook the scallops. It might take a couple of times to get it right, but they are so yummy this way.

Here's a favorite:

Bay Scallop Po'boy with spicy mayo

Serves 4 Prep time 20 min.

1/3 C light mayo
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
    3/4 tsp paprika
    hot sauce, to taste
    salt & pepper (I don't use salt)
    1/4 C plain breadcrumbs
    1 Tbsp flour
    1 lb Bay scallops (if you can get them - if not I suppose you can use sea scallops and cut in 1/4's) patted dry
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    4 hot dog buns
    4 lettuce leaves

1. in small bowl combine mayo, garlic, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp paprika & hot sauce. Season with salt & pepper if desired.

2. In med. bowl, combine breadcrumbs, flour & remaining 1/2 tsp paprika. Season with salt & pepper if desired. Add scallops and toss to coat.

3. In me. nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, fry scallops, tossing occassionally until golden and cooked through. 2 - 3 minutes. transfer to paper towel lined plate using slotted spoon.

4. Spread inside of buns with spicy mayo, top with a lettuce leaf then scallops. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.

Note: This says serves 4 - but they must not be hearty eaters. I make this just for the 2 of us. You can do all the prep ahead of time, then just coat the scallops with bread crumb mix and fry when ready to eat. I use a plastic bag for the bread crumb mix - 1 less bowl to wash.

Here's another:

Bay Scallop Stir Fry

Serves 4 (so they say!) Prep time 15 min.

salt & pepper
    1 C long-grain white rice
    1/4 C rice vinegar
    1/4 C soy sauce
    1 tsp toasted sesame oil
    1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
    1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1 red bell pepper ribs & seeds removed, thinly sliced
    2 bunches scallions, white & green parts separated, cut into 2-inch lengths
    2 carrots, halved lengthwise (or quartered if large) & cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
    1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 lb bay scallops, patted dry

1. Cook rice.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch in small bowl. Set aside.

3. In large nonstick skillet, heat vegetable oil over med high. Add bell pepper, scallion whites, carrots & ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are crisp-tender 4-5 min. Add scallops & scallion greens; cook, stirring occasionally, until scallops are cooked through 2 - 3 min.

4. Whisk sauce briefly, add to skillet & cook until thickened, about 1 min. Serve over rice.

Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

joeyoz - we've enjoyed our scallops like this at so many parties as well...mmmm........

Uh Oh!!!!
    This food w*^&# was wondering what to cook for dinner tomorrow...
    Thanks.
    :D
    Kirsten

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast