Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for good marinade for venison! >

Looking for good marinade for venison!

Looking for good marinade for venison!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 AM

I have two recepies for marinade for jerky. One is really- really hot and the other is more mellow. I will have to look to find them.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 AM

Southwestern Marinade
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Enough for 2 pounds of venison.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

My Mom uses the italian dressing too!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM

I second this one. I cook a lot of venison and moose and usually just treat it the same way I would treat beef, except don't cook it quite as long or it dries out.

This recipe looks like what I use most often.

Originally Posted by Feather3
A good steak marinade....I use it for beef or venison....I don't measure, so you may want to add more or less of each ingredient depending on taste:

Worchester Sauce 2-3 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Garlic Powder 1/2 teaspoon (or you can use fresh)
Steak Sauce - any brand sweet&spicey 2 tablespoons
Lemon Juice 3-4 tablespoons

Mix first 4 ingredients first, then stir in lemon juice. This makes enough to coat 2 large Delemonico steaks. You can lay them in a glass dish or SS pan or use a ziploc bag. Marinade a few hours or over night. Grill or pan fry.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Venison roast. We were in Baja at a hotel and the menu said "roast meat" I asked what kind of meat and the waiter said,"It's in english, roast meat" I ordered it anyway not knowing if it was goat, dog whatever. It was meat roasted in salsa. I now use salsa in my crockpot or roasted for venison, elk or beef. Very good.
Cube it or you can shred it for tortillas.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM

These all sound yummy- can't wait for fall when my husband will hunt, although our last deer was a mule deer and I could definitely tell the flavor difference between it and a PA Whitetail.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful recipe responses. They all are very helpful and I am copying all to try in the future

Here is my favorite recipe - a Goulash Dish

2 Beef bullion cubes and 2 cups of water OR a can of Beef Broth with enough water to equal 2 cups liquid - have hot.
1 1/2 lbs (approx) meat - cut into small pieces
3 slices of bacon {or I just use a tablespoon or so of bacon grease (that I have frozen}
1 large onion - sliced - approx 1 cup
Combine the following seasonings in small bowl:
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
I don't add any salt as there is plenty in bullion cube or canned broth

Dice bacon and cook in pot slowly till well done (or just add bacon grease to pot). Remove bacon if used and set aside. Add onions to pot and heat until tender. Remove from pot and set aside. Increase heat and add meat and saute till brown on all sides - quickly saute small batches at a time.
Return all meat and onions (also cooked bacon if desired) to pot - Sprinkle combined spices over mixture, stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Add hot beef broth and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 2 hours. I add vegetables such as potatoes and carrots.
This is a regular for us in the winter as I can put pot on top of wood stove and it just cooks at a low simmer. If you try this I hope you like it as much as we do!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the recipe! I am making venison meatloaf tonight. I am adding a bit of salsa to it, hopin to spice it up...this deer kind of tastes "piney".
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Pretty similar to my recipe, but no honey. I might have to try the honey next time!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I have a good one but it is kind of sweet. It really offsets the venison nicely. I really don't measure.

I mix some soy sauce about one glug of the bottle maybe a tablespoon or two??, wine ( can be red or white, doesn't matter) about two glugs of the bottle maybe about 1/2 cup, olive oil maybe around 2 or 3 tablespoons, again I just pour til it looks right, and a couple spoonfuls of honey and two cloves of crushed garlic (more if you like it garlicy). Taste it, should be a nice balance of sweet, acid and salty. If it is too sweet you can tone it down with squirt or two of lemon juice or more wine. Dump this in a ziploc baggie with the steaks and let em sit for anywhere from an hour to several. Slap on grill and yum. If you like spicy you can always add some crushed red pepper flakes to the mix.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM

DH marinades cube steak in mustard. Just plain old Frenches Mustard. then breads with flour and fries not quite done, takes out, makes gravy and then puts back in the gravy to simmer for a little while. very tender. and I am not a big venison fan. also puts onion in the gravy.