Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for Recipe...... >

Looking for Recipe......

Looking for Recipe......

Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Betty Jane
Looking for a recipe for Carmel Pie made, I think, with sweetened condensed milk. It is browned into the carmel state somehow?
Try going to the site of Eagle Brand Milk - you might be able to find it there if it's made with condensed milk.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I'll check them out. I have a friend who makes them every Christmas. I don't think that she shares her recipe with anyone.
BJ
Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I'll check them out. I have a friend who makes them every Christmas. I don't think that she shares her recipe with anyone.
BJ
I know people like that and I think it is ridiculous. What are they afraid of, someone is going to make it better than they do, or enter it in a contest and win. I don't mind sharing my recipes.
I'm always glad that someone wants a recipe that I use. Makes me feel good, because it lets me know they like what I've done.--which in the cooking line anymore is very little. I really HATE to cook.
The only time I didn't share was when I was baking and decorating cakes for the public and I didn't share my wedding cake recipe or the icing recipe that I made up myself, since I was selling to the public. All others I shared and still do.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM

No, I think that the carmel pie is made with sweetened condensed milk. I have heard that it can be browned in the can (unopened) by boiling it in water for hours. I have never done this successfully. Betty Jane
I remember doing it once. I think I got the recipe from the can of sweetened condensed milk. May be Carnation Brand? I'm sorry, but I don't remember much back then, but I know I used to do all my shopping at Safeway, in Vancouver, WA. Maybe Safeway.com can find whose product they sold in that store? This would have been 1980? I do remember that you put the can of Sweetened Condensed Milk, OPENED! (with a church key?) into a crock pot on low with water surrounding the can, but not high enough to splash into the can. Put the crockpot on low, and the crock pot lid loosely on, and cook for ??? number of hours until the milk turns golden. I don't remember the time it takes to happen, but it is the sugar reaction to the low steady heat. It just happens. You must keep an eye on the water level (lift can to add water), or you can crack your Crockpot. (I think, I turned the heat off over night?) and turned it back on during the day, so I could watch it. I checked for color by dipping a clean tooth pick into one of the holes after it was turned off? If you do it right, you will have made real carmel, to bake with. I remember using a pair of tongs to pull it out, while it was still warm, to get the carmel out of the can before it 'sets'. Place in covered heat safe dish w/ lid for storage. I used corning dishes for storing. I only made it once, for Christmas one year? I think I saw it as a challenge. Wheew! :oops: *I can't believe remembered all that.
Be careful hot sugar (carmel) can give severe burns. Please check for the total recipe, before you attempt it. I know there was more to it, than just what I remember. (Brain Injury in 1990) Hot Sugar and hot glass and metal, be careful. :oops:
Old 03-05-2011, 11:54 PM

This is directly from the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk site.

Home Made Carmel Sauce

1 (14 oz.) can Eagle BrandŽ Sweetened Condensed Milk

OVEN METHOD
HEAT oven to 425°F. Pour sweetened condensed milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with foil. Place pie plate in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with about 1/2-inch hot water to surround pie plate.
BAKE 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Carefully remove from oven; remove pie plate from shallow pan. Whisk caramel until smooth. Cool 20 minutes before serving. Store any leftover caramel in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature or heat until warm to serve.
STOVETOP METHOD
POUR sweetened condensed milk into top of double boiler. Place over boiling water and cover. Simmer 1 1/2 hours over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and caramel-colored.
REMOVE from heat. Whisk caramel until smooth. Cool 20 minutes before serving. Store any leftover caramel in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature or heat until warm to serve.
Do not heat in can.

When I was a child, we use to heat it in the can too. However, you really need to pay attention to it so there isn't any accidents with it. I just thought I would give you an alternate way of making it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Thanks for all your wonderful replies! I have not asked my friend for her recipe..She did sell them at one time. I have sold whole grain breads. I know how I felt when someone asked me for my recipes, especilly when I knew they were "fishing". Is that the word I am looking for,or is that what one would say who is from the south in the USA?