Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Low sodium pork chops >

Low sodium pork chops

Low sodium pork chops

Old 03-02-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Low sodium pork chops

My husband is on a low salt diet. This recipe is my favorite and I'd make it even if he wasn't on a low sodium diet!

2 Pork Chops With Apple and onion. Serves two
Ingredients:
Two porkchops, not the thick kind (I buy the thin cut (1/4") just to save calories. The 1/2" cut is good too).
1/2 onion diced in 1/2" or 1" thick pieces separated. You just don't want a small dice.
1 Apple skinned and cored and cut into chunks (any kind of apple is ok, but you don't want a variety that gets mushy when cooked. My favorite is Pink Lady or Golden Delicious. You don't want to use an apple that cooks into a sauce, or one that never softens up.
1 Tableshppon if maple syrup
Some oil and butter(maybe 1 TBS or more as needed.

Start the onion first as it is slow to cook. Put a little oil in a pan, add the onion, and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently so that they don't burn. When they start to get limp and browning, I put a Tablespoon or so of butter in the pan only because the butter helps the onion to brown. Stir frequently as you don't want the onion to burn. If the onion is sticking to the pan, add more butter or oil.

Start cooking the pork chop in a pan.Turn the chops over so that they brown on both sides.

While the onion is browning, peel and cut the apple. When the onion is getting limp and starting to brown, add the apple. Stir frequently. When the onions are browned and the apple looks cooked, pour the maple syrup over the onion mixture. Stir and turn down the heat so that is just keeping the pan warm. Keep stirring frequently so that it doesn't start to burn or the maple syrup starts to boil!

When the chops a nicely browned and the pan has carmelized the the juice, take the chops out of the pan and put one on each preheated plate. Put the onion mixture (use a scraper to get all the good stuff out) into the pork chop pan and stir it around until all the browned stuff in the pan has been integrated with the onion...about 30sec.

Pour the onion mixture over the chops and enjoy.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:22 AM

You'd just have to watch how much sodium is in the maple syrup (I have no idea) and the butter. You can also buy unsalted butter and might want to try a plant based fake butter. Miyoko's is pretty good. You might also want to watch pork. Ddepending on why he is on a low sodium diet, pork might or might not be good. Again, I have no idea. Just throwing out suggestions
Old 03-04-2022, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

My husband was just put on a low salt diet. This is all new to me so I Thank You for the recipe. It sounds good. I am amazed at the hidden salt in food.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:48 AM

There is no sodium in the maple syrup. I use unsalted butter. I especially like this with the pork chops 1/4" cut.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by zennia View Post
My husband was just put on a low salt diet. This is all new to me so I Thank You for the recipe. It sounds good. I am amazed at the hidden salt in food.
Its amazing what is in any processed food. When I developed food sensitivities, I had to start reading labels carefully. I had no idea what was in things before that.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Its amazing what is in any processed food. When I developed food sensitivities, I had to start reading labels carefully. I had no idea what was in things before that.
It's amazing what is in food. When I first started researching I began to think we couldn't eat anything.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

We have a frustrating situation. My husband should be on a heart healthy diet, which of course is low salt, but he needs salt and potassium because he had to have his colon removed due to C-Diff he acquired during his hospital stay for bypass surgery.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:36 AM

Great recipe.

My husband was on a low sodium diet for years also.One of my go-to recipes is this Moroccan Chickpea soup and this Tasty Lentil Tacos

Also I woild recommend to try sumac. You can pick it up at pretty much any middle eastern market and online. It has a salty, slightly sour taste, but we use it as a salt substitute all the time. You can sprinkle it on top of your food or cook with it. It comes from a berry.