Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mac and cheese

Mac and cheese

Saw this on tv and tried it . Fast and easy

1 cup milk
    1 cup water

Put in pan and start to boil

Then add 1 cup elbow macaroni and cook until it is soft. Add 5 oz. cheddar cheese and 2 ounces

of American cheese. Stir.
    Linda J.

Blog Entries
    I boil my spaghetti (yes spaghetti ) until done . Drain ,put 1/2 in a 9" X 13 " pan . Add THICK (1/4 " or so thickness ) of sharp cheddar cheese sliced NOT shredded . Add rest of spaghetti & another layer of cheese . Pour milk in pan just until it comes to the 2nd layer of spaghetti . Bake 350 degree 35 -35 minutes . This takes almost 1 box of thin spaghetti & 2 pounds of cheese . Do NOT put in to much milk

DD makes Mac & cheese in her Instant Pot. Really good.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    DD makes Mac & cheese in her Instant Pot. Really good.
    My daughter in law does too. It is delicious. The trick is not to use preshredded cheese. Doesnt melt right. Love the Instant pot
    Alyce

we used to cook pasta like this a lot. You get a feel for how much water the pasta will absorb. If there is water left after cooking just let it sit and it will all be absorbed.

This is probably my most favourite, most delicious Mac and Cheese
    ..... and to boot, it's easy-peasy!

https://www.dairygoodness.ca/recipes...mac-and-cheese
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I like the idea of not draining the pasta. Tupperware had a recipe for one of their dishes. You put a cup of water and 1/2 cup of macaroni in the dish, cover it and cook for about 5 minutes. No draining.

I make my Mac and cheese with cream of mushroom soup.
    Cook the pasta by your favorite method.
    Add one can Cream of mushroom soup.
    Add lots of cheese.
    Heat on low heat until cheese is melted, stirring frequently.
    If it's too thick, add milk to desired consistency.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Would love a tried and true recipe for Mac 'n Cheese made in the Instant Pot if someone would kindly share. I've only had my Instant Pot for a month. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    My daughter in law does too. It is delicious. The trick is not to use preshredded cheese. Doesnt melt right. Love the Instant pot
    Let's have that instapot recipe. I'm learning to cook all over again with this new toy. (some recipes off the internet do not work....like patterns.....they have mistakes in them.)

To All Instant Pot Users ..... Being that they have been mentioned several times, here,
    please do tell me more about them!

Do they really replace seven appliances?
    Which Ones?

I keep hearing it is really a pressure cooker.
    I guess I am somewhat intimidated by a pressure cooker, and have fears of it.
    Should I be? What's the secrets? How does it work?

Plus, how does a pressure cooker which is a fast cooker, double up and be a slow cooker?
    My understanding is that one of the seven is the slow cooker, but to me it doesn't make sense
    that a fast cooker is also going to be a slow cooker!
    Please explain!

Storage in my kitchen is limited, so I am all for fewer appliances to maximize my space.
    Thus why the Instant Pot intrigues me.

So please do enlighten me ....
    and tell me more than I have just asked, because I really don't know what I should ask!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    To All Instant Pot Users ..... Being that they have been mentioned several times, here,
    please do tell me more about them!

Do they really replace seven appliances?
    Which Ones?

I keep hearing it is really a pressure cooker.
    I guess I am somewhat intimidated by a pressure cooker, and have fears of it.
    Should I be? What's the secrets? How does it work?

Plus, how does a pressure cooker which is a fast cooker, double up and be a slow cooker?
    My understanding is that one of the seven is the slow cooker, but to me it doesn't make sense
    that a fast cooker is also going to be a slow cooker!
    Please explain!

Storage in my kitchen is limited, so I am all for fewer appliances to maximize my space.
    Thus why the Instant Pot intrigues me.

So please do enlighten me ....
    and tell me more than I have just asked, because I really don't know what I should ask!
    we have had several discussions with Instant Pot in the title so I think the search option would bring them up. I have 3. No fears. They have a lot of safety features. The worst it will do is shut itself off
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I followed recipe (calling for too little of needed water) and instapot read "burn" and turned itself off. Only a tiny bit of burn on bottom. Food was still great.
    I use pressure cooker alot, not afraid. But this is super easy. there is a learning curve. Just buy one and start learning.

Thanks for the first couple of Instant Pot replies ... more are welcome!

Another question ... most of my cooking is for me alone, therefore, I should know is the Instant Pot realistic for that sort of cooking? Or more so when cooking for multiples?

You can cook small amounts in the Instant pot
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by KrissyD. View Post
    I boil my spaghetti (yes spaghetti ) until done . Drain ,put 1/2 in a 9" X 13 " pan . Add THICK (1/4 " or so thickness ) of sharp cheddar cheese sliced NOT shredded . Add rest of spaghetti & another layer of cheese . Pour milk in pan just until it comes to the 2nd layer of spaghetti . Bake 350 degree 35 -35 minutes . This takes almost 1 box of thin spaghetti & 2 pounds of cheese . Do NOT put in to much milk
    Other than mom used elbow macaroni, this is exactly how my mother made mac and cheese. I have to make mac & cheese this way again. It is so yummy.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    i think I read here awhile back, something about purchasing shredded cheeses having cellulose, or whatever the chem word for plastics is, to keep it from sticking together, probably why it doesn't melt well. Since reading that info, I only buy brick cheeses!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    i think I read here awhile back, something about purchasing shredded cheeses having cellulose, or whatever the chem word for plastics is, to keep it from sticking together, probably why it doesn't melt well. Since reading that info, I only buy brick cheeses!

Cellulose is a wood product (think paper, rayon, bamboo, cellophane), not a petroleum product (Plastics). It is added to shredded choose to stop it form clumping.

I buy shredded cheese for my son, but use bricks of cheese with no "Modified Milk Ingredients" for cooking, sandwiches, pizza etc.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Be sure to read the cheese package, some cheese is for melting and other does not melt. I learned the hard way.....

QuiltE, go to following site. Think all your questions will be answered.
    https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/amy-jackys-story/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny580 View Post
    QuiltE, go to following site. Think all your questions will be answered.
    https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/amy-jackys-story/
    Thank you Sunny580 ... indeed, it does look like it is brimming with info!
    Looks like a lot of reading ahead for me.

I found this recipe the other day and tried it. Cook 2 cups of elbow macaroni to soft. While cooking mix 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup of mayonnaise (recipe calls for Duke but not available so used regular mayo), 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I used sharp) and salt and pepper. When macaroni is done stir into other ingredients, mix well and place in casserole dish sprayed with oil. Top with crushed Ritz crackers or bread crumbs and cook for 30 minutes in 350 oven. I wasn't sure how it would taste with mayo and sour cream but it is great and my husband loved it.

If I reheat soup in my IP, I push “SOUP” and before long, it’s hot and bubbling. I push the cancel button and then push “SLOW COOKER” and it slow cooks. I bought a glass lid separately for this. No pressure involved.

Using the pressure cover locked in place, MEAT/STEW cycle takes 25minutes (plus pressure release time) but you can increase or decrease time to suit yourself. Handbook is not real helpful, in my opinion. DD is an excellent cook with hers & no previous experience. She watched some YouTubes and learned so much, so I suggest you do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Far as I know, cellulose is sawdust. Eeewww! After finding that on the package I began shredding my own and it actually tastes better. Not as convenient, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    Far as I know, cellulose is sawdust. Eeewww! After finding that on the package I began shredding my own and it actually tastes better. Not as convenient, that’s for sure.
    cellulose is just the fiber that is found in all plants. I buy shredded soft cheese but grate my own Italian hard cheese.

This is the recipe that I use in instant pot for Mac and cheese. Do modify it some for personal taste. Etc sharp cheese
    http://www.jeanneguinn.com/amazing-7...er-mac-cheese/