Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Maid-Rites? >

Maid-Rites?

Maid-Rites?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Pockyscorner, just saw your post.....the gum wall is still there and growing!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM

I've never heard of Maid Rite, but used one of the above recipes last night. Not sure how it's supposed to taste! but my son and I both liked them. The meat kept falling out of the bun, it seemed a nice change from sloppy joes. Maybe next time I'll put some cheese on them.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Maid-Rites were served with a spoon/fork just because the meat spilled out. I have a t-shirt from Tom & Rosanne's Loose Meat Cafe in Iowa.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM

Here's what I did and they were great: for 1 lb of gr. beef, I cooked but not browned. Break it up really well. Drain. Then, I added 3 TBSP of hydrated onion flakes, 1/4 c of beef broth and 3 TBSP of water, S & P. Simmer until most of the liquid is gone. That's it! Pile the meat on buns with mustard, and dill pickle slices. Prepare to fix a second one. You'll want it. If cheese is put on the meat on the bun it's called a Cheese-Rite.
Sandy
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I have never heard of Maid Rite. It sounds interesting. Thanks Solstice I didn't realize theere was one near here. My quilt guild retreat is near Greenville,OH. I was planning on stopping there to go to the KItchen Aid outlet. Now I know where I will go for lunch. MMMM! I lok forward to trying it. White Castle hamburgers are Yummy once in a while. I also used to eat them in college after the bars closed. They do seem to taste the best when you are drunk. I am years past that but I do stop in about once a year.
Maid rites in Greenville,Oh are very popular and just a few blocks down the street from Kitchen Aid. At meal times the drive thru is back up out on the street. Enjoy your visit!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM

We just had a new Maid-Rite diner open up in town. I think the owner is from Iowa. There use to be one in Rochester , but it closed down.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 AM

Sure wish they'd come to Buckeye country!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 PM

The original Mid Rite was in Muscatine, Ia. William Angell was the founder. I used to live next to his widow, Bea. I now luve in Marshalltown where Taylor's Maid Rite ships sandwiches all over the country.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Well I found a link to the official Maid-Rite corp.
http://maid-rite.com/index.php

I remember several places in Iowa calling their loose meat sandwiches maid rites and also taverns. These were not franchises. I didn't know there was a place called Maid Rite, it just seemed like a regional name for the loose meat sandwiches I knew as a sloppy joe. However at the site they list locations of franchises and there is one in Ohio listed at Piqua. I also saw a wikipedia listing with some of the history of it.

P.S. I just happened across this old post as I was searching for something else.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 AM

If you need to find a recipe and only know some of the ingredients then try Super Cook: http://www.supercook.com/

I grew up in S. California, Del Taco had a Taco Burger. Quite delicious. Basically taco filling on a bun instead of a tortilla. It's loose meat and you had to be careful of the meat falling out. I like to eat sloppy joes with a fork. I think eating one of them like a sandwich would be really messy. Arn't these type sandwiches basically a maid rite?