Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Memories of Woolworth's and Chicken in a Van >

Memories of Woolworth's and Chicken in a Van

Memories of Woolworth's and Chicken in a Van

Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by mummadee
I remember the balloons for the banana splits. You picked a balloon, popped it and the price was inside. Sometimes you got a real bargain. I also remember the ice cream sandwiches - a block of neopolitan ice cream between 2 crisp waffles, I think it was 9 cents. I also remember the doll items. Our treat was getting new shoes and socks or hats for our dolls to go with the outfits that my mom would make, or a new coloring book or paper dolls.
Sometimes I think kids today and people in general just want too much.. Little things are the best
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 AM

You're making me hungry. :lol: Thanks for sharing your story and the recipe. I remember sitting at those Woolworth counters and eating too. :lol: :lol:
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by mummadee
I remember the balloons for the banana splits. You picked a balloon, popped it and the price was inside. Sometimes you got a real bargain. I also remember the ice cream sandwiches - a block of neopolitan ice cream between 2 crisp waffles, I think it was 9 cents. I also remember the doll items. Our treat was getting new shoes and socks or hats for our dolls to go with the outfits that my mom would make, or a new coloring book or paper dolls.
I'd forgotten about the balloons and popping them. What a fun memory. Thanks. :lol: :lol:
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 AM

I remember Woolworths. I used to go shopping downtown with my mom and there was a Woolworths there. There was a department store on each of 4 corners. We'd leave early in the morning and come home in time for dinner. We usually ate lunch at Reads Drug store. They had a balcony and I always ordered spaghetti and limeade. Before we waited for the bus to come home we'd stop in the Lexington Market and get peanut brittle to eat on the way. Wonderful memories. Malls are just not the same. The store windows were so beautiful at Christmas.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 AM

I teach a "writing Your Story" class for Seniors and this gives me a great idea for a topic. Thanks much
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scakes
You're making me hungry. :lol: Thanks for sharing your story and the recipe. I remember sitting at those Woolworth counters and eating too. :lol: :lol:
Scakes.. Sometimes I watch the Food Network especially and need to munch on something. I dont know if you ever saw the film WAITRESS.. Its a must see and please watch it with a slice of pie.:)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
I remember Woolworths. I used to go shopping downtown with my mom and there was a Woolworths there. There was a department store on each of 4 corners. We'd leave early in the morning and come home in time for dinner. We usually ate lunch at Reads Drug store. They had a balcony and I always ordered spaghetti and limeade. Before we waited for the bus to come home we'd stop in the Lexington Market and get peanut brittle to eat on the way. Wonderful memories. Malls are just not the same. The store windows were so beautiful at Christmas.
Wow.. Till U Will.
Spagetti and Lime aid..:)
We could eat anything in those days.:)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mary T.
I teach a "writing Your Story" class for Seniors and this gives me a great idea for a topic. Thanks much
Mary T; I love to write and found this board by accident when I was feeling down about the anniversary of my grandmother's death.. I posted a quilt blog I had and found so many nice people I feel like its home.

Thanks to all of you..
HUGGGGGGGGGG
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 AM

My favorite at Woolworth's was hot beef sandwich, and the fresh made donuts.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM

My first job was the "pet and plant girl" at Woolworth's when I was 16! I loved the fabric department, even way back then! I also remember the huge candy display, all behind glass in bulk, to be weighed out to each customer's choice...I miss having customer service really mean something...and of course..main street..when shopping was a family event, to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed.