Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
moldy flour? >

moldy flour?

moldy flour?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 AM

Sounds like your flour was rancid. I've had that happen with rolled oats and couldn't figure
out why it smelled like dirty socks when baking. LOL. If you don't bake a lot, you might
be better off buying flour in small bags and storing them in tightly sealed containers.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 AM

Flour, cornmeal, rice, etc will become rancid. I keep all of my staples in plastic bags in the freezer. They never go bad.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Candela59 View Post
I only ever use unbleached flour. Why use something that has been "bleached"? I've read that there is even less nutritional value in bleached vs. unbleached. I know that not everyone can afford to but I only use King Arthur Flour both the unbleach AP and the new White Whole Wheat (this is a hybrid wheat). I usually mix 2/3 AP and 1/3 WWW in all my recipes including sweets. DH loves the nuttier taste and it is much lighter in texture than traditional Whole Wheat flours. Take a look at their website www.kingarthurflour.com I buy the flour in my local supermarket.
I just spent some time on their website. I recently had bought some of their bread flour and was very impressed but then really never thought any more about it. I must say now after reading some about the company I will save some pennies somewhere else and only buy king Authur flour from now on!
many thanks for sharing the link
Rae
Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 AM

Debra,
You make all your bread, so what is a good recipe? My mom use to do that too but I tried after I got married and my dad used it as a doorstop. Help?????

What is the secret to making good bread and do you wait for a day or so and then freeze it or not?

Virginia
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

King Arthur is a great flour .. I buy that locally (which is nice and saves on shipping), I was very happy when the local stores starting carrying it !
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewhat540 View Post
Debra,
You make all your bread, so what is a good recipe? My mom use to do that too but I tried after I got married and my dad used it as a doorstop. Help?????

What is the secret to making good bread and do you wait for a day or so and then freeze it or not?

Virginia
Fresh yeast is a must along with good quality flour. I do like to use bread flour that has a higher gluten content. I have had bread failures using older yeast. I do keep my yeast in the fridge but even then it can get old and not work. I don't freeze my bread because it does not last that long but I do put it in the fridge because it does not contain the preservatives store bought bread does.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM

yes, you all are right. keep it in an airtight container. i do. it holds 5 lbs. and like i said, it wasn't a month old. i usually go shopping and try to get stuff for the month. then use out of my freezer (beef, venison, garden veg's, and items i canned)
seems to help me on my budget, if i just don't go to the store so often. and keeps the 'crap' out of the house that i don't need. and i also have started using whole wheat flour to bake with, just haven't trained my self to do this 100% yet. it helps keep my blood sugar down. i will check into that king arthur four. and the www flour. scratch pancakes turn out just fine with whole wheat flour.
i also do some bread making. sorry, just use the ole' breadmaker, and i use the envelope yeast. seems to stay fresher for me that way, and no flops. as long as i make sure and use slightly warm, room temp. water.
happy baking ladies.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM

My husband & I love to drive to the King Arthur store in Vermont. We come home with a car full of their baking goods. Their box mixes--scones, breads & etc are delicious. Just bought their special baking pan to make scones. I love it. I keep all my flour in the freezer and any grains in the refrigerator. I also mix white flour with wheat flour. See no difference in the end product. I'm feeling hungry--must open one of my box mixes and surprise DH!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Several years ago I baked a quick bread and my husband and I almost blew the doors off the house. Horrible, horrible gas and cramping. Couldn't imagine what the problem was. Out went the bread to the compost pile however. Next day or so I checked the canister. The flour didn't smell right. Have to believe that's what caused us to almost self-combust.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM

SewNSo, those little packages of yeast can get very expensive. Why not buy a big package and freeze it? I bake at least twice a week so I always have a little jar in my fridge and the rest in the freezer.