Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
moldy flour? >

moldy flour?

moldy flour?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 AM

I only use King Arthur flours and store them in air tight containers in the freezer.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 PM

I have experienced the same thing; the flour picks up whatever smell it is around since it is in a paper wrapper. You put it in your cabinets and it will pick up the smell of the wood. I bought some at a butcher shop and it smelled like the shop when I opened it; it went straight to the garbage. It is not worth it to take a chance on getting sick from it; better to get rid of it. Tks. G
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

i buy bulk flour from Sam wholesale (25 lb) i bagged it up in seal tight freezer bags and put it in the deep freezer and it is good for a long time ,only once i had a problem someone unplugged the freezer and the meat in it thawed and had a odor in the freezer ,so there for the flour picked up the smell, i had to throw it all out, clean the freezer and air it out as to the smell was gone before putting new flour back in it
Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Candela59 View Post
I only ever use unbleached flour. Why use something that has been "bleached"? I've read that there is even less nutritional value in bleached vs. unbleached. I know that not everyone can afford to but I only use King Arthur Flour both the unbleach AP and the new White Whole Wheat (this is a hybrid wheat). I usually mix 2/3 AP and 1/3 WWW in all my recipes including sweets. DH loves the nuttier taste and it is much lighter in texture than traditional Whole Wheat flours. Take a look at their websit

e www.kingarthurflour.com I buy the flour in my local supermarket.

I've only used King Arthur Flour since I was first married back in 1965 and have always had the best results. I;ll have to try your 2 to 1 ratio of the two flours I love that nuttier more rustic quality especially in breads...YUM...