Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
This Is My Favorite Pie Crust!!  Know You'll Love It Too!! >

This Is My Favorite Pie Crust!! Know You'll Love It Too!!

This Is My Favorite Pie Crust!! Know You'll Love It Too!!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
Yes. If you can find the other one that would be great. It sounds like it would work real well for cobblers. By the way, you have one of my very favorite passages on your site from Isaiah. It keeps me sane each day in a hectic world. Bless you.
Thank you so much, Ellis' Granny B!! After much searching, I located it. Here it is:

No Roll Pie Crust

Yield: (1) 9 inch pie crust

1-1/2 c. flour (all-purpose)
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable oil (don't use canola oil - it's harmful)
2 Tb. milk

1) In a 9-inch pie plate, sift flour, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in oil and milk. Mix with a fork then press into the bottom and sides of pie plate.

2) To bake: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake 8-10 min. or til golden.

I liked the method used in this recipe and no mess in the end to clean up!

Thank you for loving my signature! Yes, the Lord keeps us sane in this awful world and hoping people will notice that scripture because only Jesus is the hope of all mankind. There's hope in nothing or noone else. And I love your signature also. That's one of my favorite; in fact, Isaiah is my favorite prophet! The Lord bless you and yours richly!! Enjoy the recipes!

:D :D
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Ellis' Granny B: I forgot I had one more for you because this woman made 50 of these pies at Thanksgiving with this crust and got rave reviews! I wrote it down but never tried it. Omigosh, I have the wrong one. Let me search for the flaky one. I'll get back to you. n2.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I definitely will try this. Doesn't Pillsbury's have lard in their ready to bake crusts? I can't stand lard.
So glad you'll try it! Don't know about Pillsbury's ingedients in theirs. I have never in my life bought a ready made pie crust or dough. I have only bought ready made graham cracker pie crusts, but always make my own. Most people do not like lard in their pie crusts. I did a lot of research on this. Also, if you try the recipe, I forgot to tell others in case you didn't already know that it's best to use ice water in the recipe. This is what causes its flakiness. Also, the less handling of the dough means the less tough it will become so try and keep that in mind. Roll it between layers of wax paper or saran wrap and you'll have a nice pie crust! Plus the benefit of not having to clean up afterwards.

:D :D
Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Ellis' Granny B and everyone else: You've got to try this one too! This one you don't need to roll out at all. You just pat it in your pie pan!! This is the one the lady made 50 pies at Thanksgiving with this recipe and got rave reviews! BTW, it was the right recipe after all; I'm multi-tasking today!

Never Fail Pie Crust

yield: (1) pie crust

2 c. flour (all-purpose)
1 c. shortening (butter-flavored by Crisco)
1/2 Tb. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. ice water (always use the coldest water as this is what helps the flakiness)
1 egg
1/2 Tb. white vinegar

1) In bowl, mix flour, shortening, sugar and salt
2) Add ice water, vinegar and egg; beat to combine and pat into pie pan

That's all there is to it! Enjoy!! :D :D
Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks a million. Everything else I make from scratch: cookies, cakes, potato rolls, etc.I will try this today with half butter, half margarine, my husband loves peach pie.
I love peach pie too... tee hee
Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!! I will let you know how these treats were received...or should I say consumed :lol:
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!! I will let you know how these treats were received...or should I say consumed :lol:
Your quite welcome!!

:thumbup:
Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM

My mother, born in 1916, only used lard in her pie crusts. She made the best pies. My dad was partial to cherry pie. Mom would always make two at a time. One for the freezer and the other to eat. There wasn't a meal I had growing up when there wasn't some kind of dessert. Pie, cake, cookies.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Thanks a million. Everything else I make from scratch: cookies, cakes, potato rolls, etc.I will try this today with half butter, half margarine, my husband loves peach pie.

Hi Ellis' Granny B--When you get to the Peach Cobbler, send some my way....it is my favorite!!! Ellen
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
My mother, born in 1916, only used lard in her pie crusts. She made the best pies. My dad was partial to cherry pie. Mom would always make two at a time. One for the freezer and the other to eat. There wasn't a meal I had growing up when there wasn't some kind of dessert. Pie, cake, cookies.
What a wonderful mom you had! She's my kind of cook right down to the desserts - the best part in my opinion! Lots of people like lard in their crusts and in our grandparents' time, they always made the best pies and desserts! Especially the homemade ice cream! Yummm! I miss my grandmother's lemon merinque tarts - probably made with lard! It's time to get the recipes now made with lard - hehhe.
:-D :-D