Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
This Is My Favorite Pie Crust!!  Know You'll Love It Too!! >

This Is My Favorite Pie Crust!! Know You'll Love It Too!!

This Is My Favorite Pie Crust!! Know You'll Love It Too!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 PM

I wanted to share this with everyone because it is so easy and I think it's a "no fail" pie crust recipe. It's always flaky and the touch of sugar is a nice change. Here's a pic:
Here's the recipe:

French Pastry Pie Crust

1-1/2 c. flour (all-purpose)
1/4 tsp. salt (I always omit this)
1-1/2 Tb. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg
1/2 tsp. white vinegar
3 Tb. water
----------------------------------------------

1) In large mixing bowl, combine the first three ingredients.
Mix well then cut in shortening until it resembles coarse meal.

2) In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar and 1 Tb. water. Whisk
together then add gradually to flour mixture stirring with a fork.
Mix until dough forms a ball. Add the rest of the water, if necessary.

3) Allow dough to rest in refrig 10 min. before rolling out.

Here's a time-saving tip and no clean-up afterwards:

Wrap the dough in a large sheet of Saran Wrap. When ready to roll out, lay dough with the opened up Cling Wrap on table and add another large sheet of Cling Wrap for the top so there will be no mess to clean up later. After rolling out the pie dough, simply pull off one sheet, flip pie dough over and lay inside the pie plate. Press inside around plate then pull off the Cling Wrap in one easy fast stroke! No clean up needed and the dough will not be tough from using extra flour from rolling out the old way!

**I made two sweet potato pies yesterday and was out of shortening and just substituted butter in this recipe and the dough was just as good.

I know you will love this once you try it! :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Couldn't get the pic to print. Let's try again. I forgot to tell you that I halved the recipe since I only usually make one pie at a time so this recipe yields one pie only.

French Pastry Pie Crust
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11509[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11509.jpe  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 PM

So, this recipe yields two pie crusts? A top and bottom?
I think this is funny because driving home tonight I was wondering about a pie crust recipe.
Thanks
Kirsten
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM

I love to cook and especially love pie. I always wanted to make pie crust until I found Pillsbury's already to unroll crust. I think it is the best. Thank you for the recipe to try. When you say shortening, what do you ususally use??? Crisco?? Lard??? Please advise. The picture of your pie looks scrumptious.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
So, this recipe yields two pie crusts? A top and bottom?
I think this is funny because driving home tonight I was wondering about a pie crust recipe.
Thanks
Kirsten
Hi, Kirsten! No, this recipe yields one crust only. It originally was for two pie crusts, but I halved the recipe since I usually only make one pie at a time with no top crust. Well, Kirsten, I think this was great timing to post since it was on your mind! haha. Enjoy to the max! n2

:thumbup:
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
I love to cook and especially love pie. I always wanted to make pie crust until I found Pillsbury's already to unroll crust. I think it is the best. Thank you for the recipe to try. When you say shortening, what do you ususally use??? Crisco?? Lard??? Please advise. The picture of your pie looks scrumptious.
Hi, grannyB! Your welcome! I have never used anything but Crisco for shortening and after extensively researching the best pie crusts and sampling others' opinions, I came to the conclusion most people don't like shortening or Lard in their crusts. Nine out of ten prefer butter/margarine better. That's not a pic of my pie, but I'm very creative with dough and could very well pass for one of mine. I've never used store bought pie crusts before. I simply prefer doing things by hand best of all. Hope you'll try it, it may be better than Pillsbury. Have made this recipe tons of times and it's never failed me yet. Enjoy!

:-D
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks a million. Everything else I make from scratch: cookies, cakes, potato rolls, etc.I will try this today with half butter, half margarine, my husband loves peach pie.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ellis' Granny B
Thanks a million. Everything else I make from scratch: cookies, cakes, potato rolls, etc.I will try this today with half butter, half margarine, my husband loves peach pie.
That sounds wonderful! Your husband will let you know how great it is. Peach pie is the best!! Also, have another recipe have tried a few times but I like this one the best. The other one is made but dumping it all inside the pie pan at once and making a well in the middle and it kind of forms itself. It's a "no fail" crust for those who really have trouble making pie crusts and I had to try it as curiosity got the best of me. It's an okay crust but the french one is the favored among people. Let me know if you want to try the other; I'll search for it. Your welcome!

:D :D
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Yes. If you can find the other one that would be great. It sounds like it would work real well for cobblers. By the way, you have one of my very favorite passages on your site from Isaiah. It keeps me sane each day in a hectic world. Bless you.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

I definitely will try this. Doesn't Pillsbury's have lard in their ready to bake crusts? I can't stand lard.