Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need basic no yeast (good!) bread recipes >

Need basic no yeast (good!) bread recipes

Need basic no yeast (good!) bread recipes

Old 07-02-2008, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I've won fair ribbons with this recipe. Up home, blueberries come in while the zucchinis are growing huge overnight. You can make it with the huge ones that somehow grow out of control. It also freezes beautifully and is wonderful toasted with a touch of butter or cream cheese.

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

2 cups Zucchini, grated
3 eggs
1 - ½ sugar
¾ cup melted butter
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. cloves
¼ tsp. mace or nutmeg
1 Tbl. vanilla
¾ cup chopped walnuts
1 pint blueberries

Beat eggs and sugar until lemony. sift dry ingredients. Combine egg mixture, butter, and dry ingredients to make batter. Stir in vanilla and nuts, then zucchini last.

Bake at 350 for one hour or until bread pulls away from sides of pan and toothpick comes out clean. Cool before slicing.
Moonpi:
Thank you for the recipe...we are fortunate enough to be given TONS of frozen blueberries every year which we share with our church family and anyone else who will take them if they promise not to WASTE them. I think I'll give them this recipe along with the berries.

TIRNHI, I wish you lived closer, I could sure keep you in Wild Maine blueberries and no cost to you! You said they are very expensive where you live. Berries are spendy here but not blueberries. We feel so blessed to be on the receiving end of these berries. I make canned pie filling, jam, jelly, fruit syrup and just about anything else I can think of to use the berries. They are so good for you...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I read that blueberries are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. And I am sure the frozen ones are good too!
Loretta: Blueberries are suppose to be loaded with anti-oxidants that are very healthful. I read broccoli is the most nearly perfect food that is full of everything the body needs for health and fitness and blueberries were right behind broccoli. In the freezing process I don't think the berries lose any of their "good" stuff unless they get freezer burned then they might not be too good tasting but would probably still have the healthful properties they are known to have.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Can anyone share their favorite no yeast bread recipes??I have 2 in their first year in 4H breads and would like each of them to have a choice in good breads. First year require no yeast. Thanks for anyone that can help!Skeat
Hi Skeat, Here is one from my homeland Scotland, its delicious served hot. One thing though it does not keep, so eat it rather than keep it :D

Soda Bread

Soda bread is great served with salty butter and sweet fruity jam or with cheese or crisp fried bacon, and is best eaten warm on the day you make it.
Ingredients
olive oil or lard, for greasing
250g/9oz plain flour
1 level tsp salt
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp soft brown sugar
225ml/8fl oz buttermilk or live yoghurt

Method
1. Heat the oven to 230C/445F/Gas 8. Grease a baking sheet with a little oil or lard.
2. Sift the flour, salt and soda into the mixing bowl and add the sugar.
3. Stir in the buttermilk or yoghurt, at first with a wooden spoon, then bringing it all together in a doughy mass with your hands. It should feel soft and firm, not sticky. Add a little more flour if the mixture is too wet.
4. Knead the dough lightly in the bowl for about half a minute, until smooth, then shape it into a ball, as deep as you can make it. Place it on the greased baking sheet. Slash a deep cross in the top of the loaf with a sharp knife. This will allow the bread to open out as the soda starts to work and expand the dough.
5. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, then turn the oven down to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and cook for another 15-20 minutes, until the base of the bread sounds hollow when you tap it.
6. Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes, then cut it into thick slices and serve.

Enjoy Elle
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Elle (so love your name!)Thanks bunches for the recipe..sounds really yummy!! The kids will appreciate another trial in bread baking...dad is appreciating this project just a bit too much!!LOL Thanks! Skeat
Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Elle (so love your name!)Thanks bunches for the recipe..sounds really yummy!! The kids will appreciate another trial in bread baking...dad is appreciating this project just a bit too much!!LOL Thanks! Skeat
Great, glad you liked the sound of the recipe. It is lovely, my Grandma used to make it and fresh from the oven with the butter dripping off it thats how I remember eating it. Think I´ll have to go and make some now, my mouth is watering. LOL
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 AM

Moonpie, Just wanted to let you know that my family loved this bread. It was hit with everyone. This is the first year that we have used Zuccani and everyone loved. Thanks so much for recipe!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 AM

[quote=Redgo243]my family loved this bread. It was hit with everyone. /quote]

It freezes well - wrap it in plastic wrap, then slide into a plastic bag. I used to keep some thawing in the fridge at holidays, for home-made Christmas gift for "unexpected" gifts. It was like giving a taste of summer.

Of course, you can always send me a loaf or two, just for quality assurance.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 AM

Yes Moonpi! The kid got a blue on this bread and the extras she baked went to other family members and they all loved it too. Thanks-Skeat
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Skeat....here's an easy pumpkin biscuit recipe. I had never thought of making biscuits with pumpkin before a friend gave me the recipe. I like them warm with cinnamon butter.

Pumpkin Biscuits

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/3 cup cold butter
3/4 cup pumpkin (canned or cooked and mashed)
3/4 cup milk

Instructions
Place 2 cups flour in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Stir well.
Using a pastry blender or two knives in scissor fashion, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the moisture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the pumpkin and the milk and stir until all ingredients are moistened and a soft dough forms. (Add more flour if needed, but just enough so it is easy to handle.)
Roll out on a lightly floured surface to approximately 1/2-inch thick. Cut into approximately 2-inch circles using a floured biscuit or cookie cutter and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet 1-inch apart.
Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with butter, honey, or honey butter.
Yield: about 12 biscuits

Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks bunches Aunt Luc!! It will go in her recipe book for next year