Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need--Frosting >

Need--Frosting

Need--Frosting

Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi,
I think I have the recipe that you're looking for! It is called "Poor Man's Frosting"
1 cup milk, 1 cup Crisco, 5 TBSP. flour, 1 cup granulated sugar. Cook milk and flour together until thick. Set aside to cool. Cream together Crisco and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk mixture until fluffy. You may add 1 teaspoon of vanilla or any other flavoring. You can also add cocoa in case you want a chocolate frosting.
I think this is the one you want. It is a very very old recipe.
Judy
Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Did mom cook it? Sounds like the frosting that is on red velvet cake. The recipe I learned for cake decorating was 1/2 cp crisco. 1/3 cp water 1 tsp vanilla & 2 lbs powered sugar. I think this is right. Don't try yet till I get back to you. I'm going by memory & it may be more crisco. I got to go to Lowe's right now & I will check back & see where recipe is. & let you know.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Did mom cook it? Sounds like the frosting that is on red velvet cake. The recipe I learned for cake decorating was 1/2 cp crisco. 1/3 cp water 1 tsp vanilla & 2 lbs powered sugar. I think this is right. Don't try yet till I get back to you. I'm going by memory & it may be more crisco. I got to go to Lowe's right now & I will check back & see where recipe is. & let you know.
No, it wasn't cooked.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Well, I must be an old'n because I know the answer to this one!
(ahem...my name...)
I never make less at one time...this will make a large batch. Probably about 6 cups...you may cut it in 1/2. BC keeps in the fridge for a long time. I used to keep some of each color in the fridge when I decoroated all the time.

1 cup of Crisco
1 cup of butter
1 2-pound bag of confectioners' sugar (or powdered sugar/icing sugar)
1 tsp vanilla flavoring (use clear if you need WHITE icing)

I do not use stick butter in mine. It is harder to work with and will make your icing more yellow or ivory. Some recipes tell you to use a couple tbsp of milk, but I do not. If I need it thinned down more, I use more vanilla!

I hope you have a stand mixer. This stuff is really hard on hand mixers. If you make a lot of it, it will eventually burn up a hand mixer. I've made probably tons of this stuff.

Beat the butter and Crisco until blended, add vanilla, mix. Gradually add the sugar, about a cup at a time. beat until you reach your desired consistency.

Now, get creative! I add the LorAnn flavorings, most popularly known as the flavoring for hard-tack candy....YUM! Any flavorings will work, but more concentrated ones are better because you don't want to thin your icing too much. I really like the strawberry added into the buttercream.
If you want to tint the icing, I use the paste food colors. If wanting a deep red, it's best to tint it and let it set overnight in fridge bc the color will deepen as it sets.
I have also added a packet of Kool-Aid to help achieve the red colors and everyone seems to go crazy over the amazing flavor! It's really good.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:43 PM

If you need pure white frosting (like for a wedding cake), you can make it without butter and double on the Crisco. I've heard it doesn't taste as good. I've never made it without the butter. It's white enough if you don't use stick.
You can also thin it down a bit using light corn syrup.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 AM

Yea Miranda...you are just old lol

I have all the recipes and I will try them all to see which one comes closest. Sure wish my mom had written down these things!!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM

I remembered the recipe I learned in decorating class. 2/3 cp Crisco, 1/2 cp water, 1 tsp vanilla & 2 lbs powered sugar. If you want it pure white use clear vanilla other wise it will be off white & you can add butter flavoring too. If you use real butter or margarine it gets too soft from the heat of your hands when you decorate. This will be a little stiff but is good for flowers & stuff. To spread on cake add more water to make easier to spread. Have used this for almost 27 years & everyone always loves it. If you are not going to pipe it on a cake you can use half butter & half Crisco to get a richer taste just beat till real fluffy. I found a Martha Stewart recipe for true butter-cream but it is complicated & I made a mess of it. It was a lot of work & didn't turn out that good. I failed Martha 101.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 AM

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wedding...ng/Detail.aspx

This sounds like it
Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Oh, the ONLY decorating of cake will be frosting it. Not going to be fancy!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
CRH

Hi tirnhi:

Here is one that is simple and handles well.

Crisco Frosting

3 Tbsp. Crisco
1 tsp. white vanilla
1 pound (3 1/2 cups) powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
milk - start with 2 Tbsp., up to 1/4 or 1/3 cup if needed

In mixer bowl whip crisco til soft, add sugar and vanilla and 2 Tbsp. milk. Whip well, if too thick add more milk in SMALL increments. (I sometimes use a Tbsp. of sour cream or half and half to make it richer, but not necessary.) The more you whip it the fluffier it gets.

Very easy to make, makes good frosting for Christmas cookies and Valentine cookies, can tint it with food coloring. It spreads easily because you can adjust the consistency to whatever you need. RECIPE CAN BE DOUBLED and turns out fine. Also stores in refrig for a couple of weeks. (I like it because after it sits a while the top sets enough so it isn't sticky.)

Hope this is what you were wanting. :-) :-)