Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
NEED RECIPE: Pickled Habenaros >

NEED RECIPE: Pickled Habenaros

NEED RECIPE: Pickled Habenaros

Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 PM

I am currently growing 16 Habenaro plants. Obviously, I didn't think that one through when I was planting seedlngs. But I got an idea out of it. I've kind of lost touch with my Dad, but I want to try and reconnect. He really likes spicy stuff and I'm told he grows several varieties of hot peppers in his own garden.

I'm looking for a pickled habanero recipe (or any hot pepper recipe) so I can send a few jars of the peppers I grew to my dad.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

My Dad actually canned hot peppers last year...not sure if they were habenaros or not. I will see him today, and see if he has the recipe....I think we actually found it online! My boys LOVED these, had contest to see who could eat more...OUCH!!!!! Hope you can reconnect with your Dad, thats great!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
My Dad actually canned hot peppers last year...not sure if they were habenaros or not. I will see him today, and see if he has the recipe....I think we actually found it online! My boys LOVED these, had contest to see who could eat more...OUCH!!!!! Hope you can reconnect with your Dad, thats great!
That would be awesome! ...now that I think about it, if I sent down a jar or two I wouldn't put it past Dad to have "who can eat more" contests with his brothers and brother-in-law (who's from Mexico and claims they start the kids up on jalapenos down there). lol.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 AM

http://www.hotsauceaddicts.com/

this site has a bunch of recipes!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM

My Dad used to boil white vinegar and pour over his home grown hot peppers in jars.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

16 plants of habenaros??? OUCH!!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess

I'm looking for a pickled habanero recipe (or any hot pepper recipe) so I can send a few jars of the peppers I grew to my dad.
Pickled Habaneros
Ingredients

It is important that the vinegar ratio not be altered to avoid any potential bacterial growth.

20 to 30 habanero chiles, stems removed
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
3 Mason-type (1-pint) canning jars, sterilized

Select habaneros that are fresh, firm, and free of blemishes. Wash in a mild bleach solution (1 teaspoon household bleach to 1 quart of warm water), rinse and allow to dry overnight. Wearing food-safe gloves and using a sharp paring knife, cut two slits in the top of each chile. Tightly pack the chiles into the sterilized jars.

In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil and pour over the chiles. Seal the jars and store in a cool, dark place for at least 4 weeks before serving.

Yield: 3 jars
Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by winipb2

Pickled Habaneros
Ingredients

It is important that the vinegar ratio not be altered to avoid any potential bacterial growth.

3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water

Select habaneros that are fresh, firm, and free of blemishes. Wash in a mild bleach solution (1 teaspoon household bleach to 1 quart of warm water), rinse and allow to dry overnight. Wearing food-safe gloves and using a sharp paring knife, cut two slits in the top of each chile. Tightly pack the chiles into the sterilized jars.

In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil and pour over the chiles. Seal the jars and store in a cool, dark place for at least 4 weeks before serving.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe...aspx?rid=20158

chili jam - yum. for the plain red pepper i assumed she meant sweet rep pepper, so that's what i used in combination with the red chilis. it cans up very well.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by winipb2

Pickled Habaneros
Ingredients

3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water

This is the standard for pickling any type of hot peppers! And is my fave hands down. I grow Tabasco, Jalapeno, Habanaro, and a Thai Chile that will peel the paint off the walls. My Tabasco plant is 4 years old this year and puts out 4 to 5 gallon bags of peppers a year. I make a hot sauce that everyone absolutely loves and has tried to get me to submit the recipe to Food Networks people. Its of my own invention and every year I give out jars for Christmas and it seems I never ever can make enough.

I might submit the hot sauce recipe after I see how it works on the Habanero, Tabasco and Thai Chile combo. I am trying to make the hottest sauce that you can make.

I want Dave's Insanity Sauce (Habanero version) look like Ketchup!!

Billy