Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need salad ideas for a 50's Sock Hop theme event >

need salad ideas for a 50's Sock Hop theme event

need salad ideas for a 50's Sock Hop theme event

Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 AM

[QUOTE=JENNR8R;7816405]This is the recipe for Broccoli Salad that I begged for after eating it at a covered-dish dinner:

Broccoli Salad

"Confirmed broccoli haters have changed their minds after tasting this salad. It is great for potlucks or buffet meals. Make a day or so before you wish to serve to meld the ingredients. I have used sugar substitutes for the white sugar and also used nonfat or low-fat mayonnaise and it still tastes great!"

Now that one is a bit different than the others by adding in the slivered almonds. Am making a note on that and you use fresh grapes, some prefer them to raisins.
Making it the day before is good.
The menu is not set in stone to be authentic to the era.

Our family did not eat out other than at family gatherings. Everything at our house was from scratch. Home made bread every Saturday and scratch 2-egg yellow cake was the recipe I made every week. Made it so much I did not need the book to make it.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 AM

I would go with deviled eggs.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
I would go with deviled eggs.
Another good idea, that is not jello.

My girlfriend always takes deviled eggs to all church meals. Now she has 2 containers to carry them in. Everybody makes sure she will take them and they are always gone.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM

I used to collect cookbooks and my salad cookbooks from the 50's ...green salads popular toay were not in any of those books,believe me. Lots and lots of Jello salads though, it was the new fad and jello put out their own cookbooks to it and pudding desserts to promote.

Shredded carrot was popular and you could do that in a light manner.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 PM

I have done the broccoli salad using the added cauliflower and find it even better. I have also added pasta to make it go further and make it more of a main dish. It's more filling that way. When adding pasta, I do make extra dressing as it will soak up some of it. Spiral or small shell pastas work well.

I never had this salad until the 80's tho. Still it's delicious. In the 50's there were a lot of jello salads if I recall.

Last edited by wildyard; 05-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Sweet jello/gelatin "salads" - I did - and still do - consider them to be "desserts."

The first time I tasted the broccoli salad was about ten years ago.

I think we made macaroni-tuna-onion-green peas-Miracle Whip salad fairly often. I remember giving the leftovers to one of our dogs and he carefully left the onions and peas!

I like my version of chicken salad - ring macaroni - onions - celery - cooked chicken - Hellman's Mayo or Miracle Whip dressing -

I like to add craisins and cashews or slivered almonds to this - but I am pretty sure that crasins were not "in" during the 1950s. Or serve with grapes when craisins not available.

It is another of those "forgiving" types of concoctions that seem to become "indiviudalized" to each family that makes it.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM

This time of year is rhubarb season. I remember Grandma making rhubarb sauce with strawberries or pineapple mixed in and a spoonful put in the center of a canned pear slice on a leaf of lettuce. Very pretty and tasty.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
You said no to jello salads - but my Mom would once in a while make this:

Lemon jello
Finely shredded carrots
Crushed pineapple

I really liked it

For a fruity sweet "salad" - she made something called "glorified rice"
I love that someone else liked this salad. It was Christmas tradition with my mother. We made it with either orange or lemon jello, the carrots and pineapple, some vinegar and salt. It was called Golden Glow. Mother also made Waldorf, Ambrosia and the carrots, pineapple and raisin and mayo salad without jello. The Golden Glow salad along with the Jiffy Corn Casserole are traditions for us yet the past several years. Food memories make me smile!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:17 AM

We had potato salad often with hamburgers and hot dogs. Also, cole slaw and Waldorf salad. Although Waldorf salad was mostly for our "dressier" dinners like Christmas. But maybe my mom just didn't want to make it other times. Who knows?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
I love that someone else liked this salad. It was Christmas tradition with my mother. We made it with either orange or lemon jello, the carrots and pineapple, some vinegar and salt. It was called Golden Glow. Mother also made Waldorf, Ambrosia and the carrots, pineapple and raisin and mayo salad without jello. The Golden Glow salad along with the Jiffy Corn Casserole are traditions for us yet the past several years. Food memories make me smile!
Mom also called it "golden glow salad"

Someone once made "it" with chunky/whole carrots and green jello. Not quite as appealing!