Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
needed, recipes for canned pinto beans >

needed, recipes for canned pinto beans

needed, recipes for canned pinto beans

Old 03-15-2020, 02:52 PM

Default needed, recipes for canned pinto beans

anyone have any favorite recipes for canned pinto beans....I included several cans of them and also great northern beans for my "staying home time" as I am older with a lot of risk factors.....so....I am experimenting with new recipes....tonight I am making some lentil soup with carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, stewed tomatoes (no tomato paste) and maybe some ham...haven't decided to add that yet....simmering on the stove now....thanks for ideas.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:04 PM

I don't have any specific recipes which I can share but just use your imagination. Today I made a kettle of chili using red beans and kidney beans. I see no reason why you could not substitute pinto beans when making chili. How about using pinto beans to make a casserole using several different kinds of beans. I have eaten such dishes which had a combination of butter beans, pork and beans and other types of beans. Combine the beans, add brown sugar, catsup, bacon or ham, and a little onion if you desire. When tucked in the oven and allowed to bake it makes a very tasty addition to a meal. How about combining pinto beans, canned tomatoes, and hamburger? I can see this combination served with cornbread. I guess my favorite method of cooking is mix, dump, and stir. One can come up with some tasty combinations without having a specific recipe. Let us know how you come out.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:01 PM

We love this soup & it calls for 3 cans of Pinto Beans. I usually put in 4 cans when I make it.

1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion (chopped)
3 (15 oz) cans Pinto Beans w/jalapenos (I use 4 cans)
1 (16 oz) can whole kernel corn
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (8 or 16 oz according to preference)
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 package taco seasoning
1 envelope Ranch Dressing
1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives
5 cups water (more or less depending on your preference)
Cook beef & onion in large pot, stirring until crumbled. Drain off fat. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 15 minutes.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-17-2020 at 02:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-17-2020, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

I do a nice salad with chick peas but maybe your pinto beans would work? It is 2 cans of rinsed chick peas, 3 coloured peppers sliced into slivers, a red onion sliced into slivers, broccoli and cauliflower bits and oil and vinegar dressing tossed in.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

If you go to YouTube and put in .....Glen & Friends Cooking.....yesterday he did Taco soup and today was Bean Soup.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:34 AM

Chorizo is Mexican sausage. We cook some to add to the beans. Squeeze fresh lime on each serving!
Old 03-18-2020, 04:15 AM

Default Pinto Beans

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
anyone have any favorite recipes for canned pinto beans....I included several cans of them and also great northern beans for my "staying home time" as I am older with a lot of risk factors.....so....I am experimenting with new recipes....tonight I am making some lentil soup with carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, stewed tomatoes (no tomato paste) and maybe some ham...haven't decided to add that yet....simmering on the stove now....thanks for ideas.
I have a recipe for "pecan Pie" using pinto beans somewhere. Great for someone who can't have nuts. We are snowbirds and in Florida so don't really know if I have that recipe with me but I will give it a try to find if anyone is interested in recipe
Old 03-21-2020, 03:18 AM

Oh, I would love to have a recipe for pecan pie, without the nuts. Would be a surprise for my sister. She doesn't care for nuts and my niece isn't allowed nuts because of a medical condition.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 AM

I made a ham the other day and with that have lots of dinner options. Today the bone will be cooked for soup and beans will go into that. I would say hubby and I get at least 6 meals out of a ham portion so ends up only costing about $2 per meal. To me using a turkey or ham goes a long way and is economical. Now with people spending more time in their homes, maybe more real cooking could be done.

Ideas for leftovers: sandwiches, salad, hot dishes, soup, omelets, and portions can be frozen for later use. Although ham is not good frozen for long periods.

Happy cooking and eating!
Old 03-22-2020, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by renda View Post
I have a recipe for "pecan Pie" using pinto beans somewhere. Great for someone who can't have nuts. We are snowbirds and in Florida so don't really know if I have that recipe with me but I will give it a try to find if anyone is interested in recipe
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Oh, I would love to have a recipe for pecan pie, without the nuts. Would be a surprise for my sister. She doesn't care for nuts and my niece isn't allowed nuts because of a medical condition.
This intrigued me so went Googling. I found several mock pecan pie recipes, but chose the Bush's Beans one since they are 'masters' with beans I don't have all the ingredients in house, so will have to wait a few weeks before venturing out to the grocery store again.
https://bushbeans.com/en_US/recipe/pinto-bean-pie