Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No knead "Jim Lahey" Bread

Blog Entries

No knead "Jim Lahey" Bread

The Jim Lahey recipe from the New York Times for no knead bread is my downfall. My Husband makes a loaf like this about every three days. No wonder my clothes never fit. Yummy!
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Can you post the recipe or the link to it????

What ? No recipe?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    What ? No recipe?
    cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Sorry I was eating bread! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MaryKatherine; 12-21-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Power Poster
    ​Looks delicious and homemade bread is one of my weaknesses too!

bread is my down fall too
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!
    Live today not tomorrow because it may never come!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...72725B9BE4.png

I can't look at the link! I'd be in hell! But the photo looks very yummy.

Looks yummy! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!!

I had to smile a bit after reading the recipe. A few years ago, my Dh gave me a cookbook, that had this type of bread recipe, for Christmas. I had been making our bread for years, thought he loved it, and was terribly offended. After a lot of stewing, I asked him WHY. Turns out that he heard the author interviewed on a radio program and thought it was an interesting technique (never having made bread himself) so thought he was giving me another option. I love him for his thoughtfulness. I do not know how long it will take to forgive him. It hasn't happened yet.

I have never used this cookbook because I prefer to finish my bread in one afternoon--not in a day and a half!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I have a book of fancy breads baked in various ways with hard crusts and (hopefully) soft interiors. I made several of the recipes and found out that we prefer the old fashioned homemade bread recipes I have been baking for 60 years. I will give that book away when I find someone who wants it!

Blog Entries
    We love this bread recipe. It is so easy to make and delicious. I have made numerous variations of it also. It does take some planning ahead. One of our favorites is to add some whole wheat flour. There are tons of variations on pinterest.

I found this recipe through another source and tried it yesterday. I haven't tasted it yet. I froze the loaf and am saving it for Christmas Eve when family and friends will join us for lobster stew. I first glance it looks a little too dark. I'm thinking I should have cooked it in a little less time. However, I am looking forward to trying it.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

This bread looks great and I will try it over the Christmas break. Thanks for sharing the link.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    The Jim Lahey recipe from the New York Times for no knead bread is my downfall. My Husband makes a loaf like this about every three days. No wonder my clothes never fit. Yummy!
    That bread looks delicious.

I've tried this recipe, and used sea salt on the top of it before baking instead of cornmeal..was delicious, but rather coarser than what we are used too, and really the best when piping hot of course.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Looks delicious and homemade bread is one of my weaknesses too!
    Ditto. I've made no knead bread and love it. Want to try his recipe and technique.

I mix my bread in a bread machine and then shape and bake it. Have a BUNCH of books and recipes for various kinds of bread. Love, love, love to bake bread and if you bring a loaf of home made bread you can get in a door most anywhere. If I make it for someone who lives alone I have a couple of small loaf pans so I can bake twolittle loaves and they can refrigerate or freeze the second one until they are ready to use it so they don't get moldy/stale bread. Also make several varieties of bread puddings with the leftovers (if there are any) or feed it to the outside birds. Makes wonderfuol croutons too. No waste whatsoever.

I've made a similar bread in a cast iron dutch oven. Very tasty with soup or chili( or just hot dripping with butter)

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing..

I am going to try this, it doesn't matter to me if it takes time (because it is not fussy time, just time you pass anyway).

Blog Entries
    Have tried several bread recipes,including one in the slo cooker.Most recipes work fine,but I'm a creature of habit & stick with the tried & true 😄We prefer a soft crust,but DH loves any home made bread.My fav recipe site is King Arthur.Wonderful Cakes,rolls,pies & breads of every type.
    Pat

Bread looks good and recipe seems like a no brainer but I don't have a 6-8 qt. pan with a cover to bake it in. Anyone use a thick baking sheet with a lasagna foil pan on top for the bread and cover the bread with foil?

Blog Entries
    Foil is not going to radiate enough heat.
    We use a clay baker, and we've tried a cast iron casserole all with good results
    Any casserole with a lid will work as will a clay flour pot.
    This is a very forgiving recipe.
    As a last resort cooking it in a standard loaf or bread pan works.
    The main rule is all the parts must be preheated to simulate a bread oven.
    Play. No matter how you do it, its the hours of yeast action that gives this bread its flavour and crumb.

Ok, I made this bread but it turned out a little too wet on the side. It must be how I made the recipe so will try again, maybe baking a little longer. I used the dutch oven but not entirely sure about using it again with the lid (because of the temp). I have a corning ware cassesore with a glass lid that should work.

Just feedback in case someone else has some tips.

Blog Entries
    Well you want the scorching hot temp that cast iron or clay gives, the glass may cool too much when you open the casserole to put the dough in. If your dutch oven is cast or iron it will be fine. Some of the lighter versions may be chancey. But by all means try it. All ovens are different you may need to cook it longer. Personally I like it cooked a bit longer than my husband does.
    We ran out of time one day and proofed it in the cold garage for 3 days. Wow what flavour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast