Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No Tomatoes, But Pumpkins

No Tomatoes, But Pumpkins

So strange, I have some ripe pumpkins ready to use in the garden, but I still don't have tomatoes yet. (I'm sure I'll have some eventually. I planted over 40 tomato plants...LOL.) I'd love some pumpkin recipes, especially for hot weather. Ideas?

~ C

DJ
    I'll bet there's a recipe somewhere for pumpkin ice cream! It sounds so unusual to have pumpkins before tomatoes.

I cook pumpkin, mash it up and freeze it for pies or quick bread later on.

I do like cold, cooked pumpkin. It would probably taste great in a pasta salad.

Pumpkin Soup .... mmmmmmm!!!
    Sorry, but I like soup, any time of the year ... yes even during hot weather!

Hot Weather Foods, mean the BBQ .... so how about Roasted Pumpkin ala BBQ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I read somwhere some pumpkins are good for cooking, others only for jack-o-lanterns.....hope yours are the eating kind!
    40 tomato plants! You must have a huge garden! More like a mini-farm! I'm getting my little cherry tomatoes (2 plants)..... Blossoms on Roma's........

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I'll bet there's a recipe somewhere for pumpkin ice cream! It sounds so unusual to have pumpkins before tomatoes.

I cook pumpkin, mash it up and freeze it for pies or quick bread later on.

I do like cold, cooked pumpkin. It would probably taste great in a pasta salad.
    Yes, there is a recipe for pumpkin ice cream somewhere because at certain times of the year it is available in Texas.

Save those pumpkin seeds. They are full of goodness.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Tomatoes in these parts are not doing well this year. It is all about the weather.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have made pumpkin smoothies. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
    Yes, there is a recipe for pumpkin ice cream somewhere because at certain times of the year it is available in Texas.
    Pumpkin is really good in hot cereal. Yum
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
    Pumpkin is really good in hot cereal. Yum
    Thanks for the heads up! I will try that.

Most of my pumpkins did not ripen before frost last year. I brought them into the house and in time, they all got orange. But I found that the pumpkins that ripened in the house did not have the real flavor of a sun-ripened pumpkin.

I've been making pumpkin pie without the crust. It just goes faster. And I've been using "Essential Everyday Stevia Sweetener" so that I can eat the pumpkin without guilt about eating so much processed sugar. This sweetener has Erythritol and Stevia leaf extract. I'm sure there are other brands that are good also. And that sweetener tastes good with no after-taste.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Tomatoes in these parts are not doing well this year. It is all about the weather.
    Tomato plants not doing well in Maine either. I have some green ones, very small ones, but I usually have my 4th of July plants ripe by now but they are tiny. Not sure what the cause is unless it was the cold and rainy spring we had this year.

We've had no ripe tomatoes yet. They are still very small on the vines. We have had several cucumbers. We never have any luck with pumpkins either!!

“Squash Soup” is so good and I can imagine pumpkin could be substituted for squash.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    “Squash Soup” is so good and I can imagine pumpkin could be substituted for squash.
    Yes indeedy do!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I remember getting so many pumpkins in August when I lived in N.C. Nobody wanted them when I was trying to give them away. Made me kind of sad when I had no pumpkin in October.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    I remember getting so many pumpkins in August when I lived in N.C. Nobody wanted them when I was trying to give them away. Made me kind of sad when I had no pumpkin in October.
    Yeah...I don't think any of these pumpkin vines will still be producing by October. So far, I've made a Thai, pumpkin, coconut soup that was pretty good. I also did a pumpkin, white bean soup, which was just OK. I have about 10 more pumpkins that are ripe now and a few green ones.

The tomatoes have been a big disappointment this year. I have a gazillion vines, but the production has been unusually low. We are near the CA wildfires and I think that all of the smokey skies and hot weather has taken a toll on the tomatoes. Maybe that's why the pumpkins are so early...they think it's fall.

~ C