Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Okonomiyaki >

Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki

Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 PM

Default Okonomiyaki

It's shopping time and the fridge and cupboards are pretty bare. I searched around and put together all of the things to make Okonomiyaki. Surprisingly, I had everything but the spring onions, so I made that for breakfast.

If you are not familiar with Okonomiyaki, this is an egg dish that is a beloved favorite in Japan. Basically, it's like an open omelette with pretty much anything that you want to add to it. It's kind of like our pizza, in that the combinations of ingredients are endless. Usually, there is shredded cabbage, a little meat, green onions and sometimes seafood. They cover the whole omelette with a beautiful, brown "Okonomi" sauce and then drizzle it all with "Kewpie" mayonnaise and sprinkle with dried seaweeds and other crunchies. It's served all times of the day.

The most famous recipes come from Osaka, but there is also the Hiroshima style and Tokyo style. I did mine Osaka style with veggies. It was delicious!
Old 02-21-2021, 05:50 PM

sounds like something my sister would love. She lived in Taiwan many years ago.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Eggs are one of the best sources of protein.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:45 AM

Default Would you share your recipe?

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
It's shopping time and the fridge and cupboards are pretty bare. I searched around and put together all of the things to make Okonomiyaki. Surprisingly, I had everything but the spring onions, so I made that for breakfast.

If you are not familiar with Okonomiyaki, this is an egg dish that is a beloved favorite in Japan. Basically, it's like an open omelette with pretty much anything that you want to add to it. It's kind of like our pizza, in that the combinations of ingredients are endless. Usually, there is shredded cabbage, a little meat, green onions and sometimes seafood. They cover the whole omelette with a beautiful, brown "Okonomi" sauce and then drizzle it all with "Kewpie" mayonnaise and sprinkle with dried seaweeds and other crunchies. It's served all times of the day.

The most famous recipes come from Osaka, but there is also the Hiroshima style and Tokyo style. I did mine Osaka style with veggies. It was delicious!
Sounds interesting and we love eggs.
Would you share your recipe?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:43 AM

Sounds like a great way to use whatever is in the fridge.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gramadona View Post
Sounds interesting and we love eggs.
Would you share your recipe?
I visited Japan a couple of years ago and I had okonomiyaki in Tokyo. It was very good, but I originally was introduced to the dish in my own neck of the woods. There is a small restaurant in Ukiah, called, "Oko Time," that is owned by a Japanese wife and American husband team. They serve up many delicious variations of it. I thought that their okonomiyaki is far better than the one that I had in Japan.

There are many regional styles of the okonomiyaki recipe. Some use a grated, white yam in the batter, others use a special four, but neither of these are absolutely necessary. There is also a special sauce to go on it. I found that mixing oyster sauce with a little ketchup is a nice substitute for that. It's the kind of recipe that you can probably use what you already have in the fridge and it will still be wonderful. Here are a few recipes that I've found online:

https://misosoup.site/okonomiyaki/

https://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/okonomiyaki/

https://www.osaka.com/eat/okonomiyak...o-okonomiyaki/