Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Old fashion Anise cookies ? >

Old fashion Anise cookies ?

Old fashion Anise cookies ?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM

Did the recipe have strong coffee and used lard? These were round cut outs and not frosted. They were hard and so good dipped in a glass of milk.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 PM
KLO

Just made Pizzelles yesterday and the whole house smelled like anise. We make them every year. My MIL used anise seed in her pizzelles but I don't like them that way so I use the liquid. They are almost too pretty to eat .... but we do!
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 AM

Is anise the one that tastes like licorice?

I remember my mother making something with that "rolling pin" but it makes a nice decoration, too! Also, I think I still have the device around here that utilized irons and the flower-like shapes were deep fried--yummy!!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:14 AM

Ube, In my Betty Crocker's Cooky Book, there is a recipe for Springerle. This is a cookbook with vintage recipes. It calls for 2 eggs, 1 cup of sugar, 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, and anise seed. Cream your butter and sugar and then stir in the flour until the batter is well blended and stiff. Refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours, and then roll out the dough on lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick. Press a well-floured Springerle board or Springerle rolling pin down firmly on the dough to emboss the design. Cut out the little squares; let dry on a lightly floured board sprinkled with Anise for 10 hours at room temperature. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies. This is a hard cookie that was brought to this country by German families.

Any baking specialty shop or maybe Amazon should have a Springerle rolling pin or board. You say that she used cookie cutters and iced them. Maybe you could try tweeking this recipe accordingly.

Last edited by SewingSew; 12-22-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Anything like this?
http://foodiemoods.nl/anijskoekjes/

this one has anijs powder
https://kruimelsenkaneel.wordpress.c.../anijskoekjes/
Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Ube, If you go to kingarthurflour.com/shop, you should be able to find Springerle molds and a Springerle rolling pin. I have the King Arthur catalog, and some of their molds are beautiful. I love nutcrackers, and there is a mold for that. I wonder if your Nana used cookie cutters or Springerle tools? I looked in my King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook, and I saw another Springerle recipe there. This one calls for eggs, confectioner's sugar, and anise oil, lemon oil, or flavor of your choice. In this recipe, anise seed is optional, but they state that it gives the cookie more flavor and also raises the cookie a bit, allowing the air to circulate around the bottom, drying them more thoroughly. If you prefer a softer cookie, you can put a soft piece of bread or a slice of apple in the container with them. This recipe is two pages long. You could probably request this cookbook from the library, or, if you're interested in it, I'll type ut up for you after the holidays. Just let me know.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Anything like this?
http://foodiemoods.nl/anijskoekjes/

http://www.cookerathome.nl/shorecepten.php?receptid=25

or German Anisplätchen

Here is what comes up with google
https://www.google.com/search?q=Anis...UIBygC&dpr=1.1
Old 12-22-2016, 08:14 AM

I was introduced to ANISE cookies when I was 5. My German neighbor immigrated to the USA in the early 1900.s.
2 cups sugar- 1 cup corn syrup- 1 1/2 c shortening-2 eggs- 1tsp soda- 1 tsp cloves- 1 tsp cinnamon-3 .70 cans
Tones anise seed-8 c flour-1 c cream.
cream sugar, syrup & shortening. Add eggs. Sift soda, cloves, aniseed & flour together. Add to creamed mixture alternating with cream. Chill. Roll into 1 inch logs. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-13 min. These san be place very close together on the cookie sheet (24-30) as they do not spread much.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:28 AM

My German-Polish Grandmother made a small round anise cookie. She decorated them with sprinkles (hundreds and thousands is how I knew them).They sat out overnight to dry and when baked the tops popped. They were very light and crumbly. She made them at Christmas.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rainbowzebra View Post
My mom made these cookies every year (not my favorite at all), but they are good. I am pretty sure the recipe came from my dad's mother, but most of my family is of German decent. Anyway I hope this is what you are looking for. BTW my mom put anise flavoring in the frosting too, which was just a powdered sugar cut out frosting.

2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 t. Salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 t. vanilla
1 T. milk
1/4 t. anise flavoring

Sift dry ingredients together. Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs, vanilla and anise. Add sifted ingredients and milk. Roll and cut out. Bake 375 for 10 minutes.
I am of German descent and always had/made Springerle cookies, a German lady taught my part Irish Mother how to cook. BUT these just came from the oven and boy are they good. I used GF-Krusteaz flour mix and was a little dry but will be making these again. Now to make some powdered Truvia to frost them.

Thank you, ube quilting for asking about your recipe and rainbowzebra for posting.