Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Old Recipes >

Old Recipes

Old Recipes

Old 12-15-2020, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I've always heard that lard makes the best pie crust but I've never tried it. Never heard of organic shortening, thanks!
Old 12-16-2020, 08:10 AM

I replaced Crisco years ago. Hydrogenated fat is the very worst and at a nutritionalist advice, we have eliminated all hydrogenated fats from our shopping, cupboards, and pantry. We switched to Spectrum Organic Shortening. I swear it makes better pie crusts and better cookies than shortening - Crisco - ever did. You can order from Vitacost - online. We really don't use much shortening anyway, and one container lasts us quite awhile.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:35 AM

Here is an *old* recipe! This one is in Middle English, but nearly identical recipes go back to the Roman Empire. See if you can figure out the modern version.

79. Payn purdeuz. Take faire yolkes of eyren, and try hem fro the white, and drawe hem thorgh a streynour; and then take salte, and caste thereto; And then take manged brede or paynman, and kutte hit in leches; and then take fair buttur, and clarify hit, or ellses take fresh grece and put hit yn a faire pan, and make hit hote; And then wete the brede well there in the yolkes of eyren, and then ley hit on the batur in the pan, whan the buttur is al hote; And then whan hit is fried ynowe, take sugaur ynowe, and caste there-to whan hit is in the dish, And so serue hit forth.

Harleian MS 4016 (English 15th c.)

Translation

Lost Bread. Take fair yolks of eggs and separate them from the whites, and draw [put] them through a strainer and then take salt and cast thereto [add it]. And then take manchet bread or paindemaine [good white bread] and cut it in slices, and then take fair butter and clarify it, or else take fresh grease, and put it in a fair pan and make it hot. And then wet the bread well there in the yolks of egg and then lay it on the butter in the pan when the butter is hot. And then when it is fried enough take sugar enough and cast thereto when it is in the dish. And so serve it forth.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
It's even worse when it's a "grandma" recipe that says "Mush up a 50-cent box of vanilla wafers, put them in the blue bowl and add milk up to the bottom of the crack."
Oh I love this and can relate!!