Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
perogies >

perogies

perogies

Old 12-16-2013, 05:54 PM

hmmmmm, I've never seen a recipe for the dough just using sour cream and flour.....

Nan
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Sounds like an interesting recipe! I remember a friend of my brother used to bring us these at Christmas. His mom would make hundreds of them. We fried them in butter to heat them after they were boiled. Yum!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
Sounds like an interesting recipe! I remember a friend of my brother used to bring us these at Christmas. His mom would make hundreds of them. We fried them in butter to heat them after they were boiled. Yum!!!
My mom would also fry onions for a topping for the potato or cabbage perogies. Yummy
Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 PM

I am Ukrainian also and my dough just doesn't compare to my Mothers. It was always perfect. One of my favorite fillings is an Italian plum or cherries. To die for!! Lovely fond memories. In Ukrainian we call them Pyrohy or Varenyky. Merry Christmas, Sophie.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM

My Nebraska relatives call them runzas and they're a tradition at Christmastime for at least one of my older cousins, who has a huge family. The filling I use is hamburger, cabbage and onion with salt, pepper and a little tabasco sauce. I kind of doubt the tabasco is traditional. The dough I use has cream cheese and is very easy to handle. I haven't made them in years, but this thread makes me want some. It's interesting that many different cultures have similar things by various names, such as empanadas and ravioli and wontons. They are many variations, but the concept of a dough enclosing a filling is very popular.

I'm posting on here weeks late because I was just browsing the recipe threads looking for cooking inspiration, and I'm glad I did!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Yes, Mrs. T's are very good! (Our WalMart Supercenter carries Mrs. T's.) I remember my very elderly aunt making tables full of these. I think that her recipe was a basic noodle dough with the potato/cheese filling, then boiled and then kept warm in skillets of butter - served with sour cream on the tops. I tried making them once and they were as big as footballs - LOL

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
Yum. I am polish and love all varieties. I have made them from scratch but often buy Mrs. T's in the frozen foods section. Not as good as homemade but satisfies the craving