Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
perogies >

perogies

perogies

Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 AM

Default perogies

this is my moms recipe hope you enjoy for the dough 1 tub sour cream add flour till it forms a dough for filling boil potatoes when cooked drain and mash with shreaded cheddar cheese to taste if potatoes aren't thick add some instant potato flakes to thicken cool in fridge after cool take dough cut into baseball sized pcs take one pcs and roll out on a well floured counter dough should be thin cut into circles I use a soup can take dough in the palm of your hand take a spoon of the potatoes place in the middle of dough fold over and crimp edges with fingers I usually make a dozen and place in pot of boiling water when perogies float remove from water place in roasting pan add a little vegatabe oil toss lightly to prevent sticking together at this point you can place flat on a cookie sheet freeze then put in frezzer bags or fry in a skillet for a sauce I do heavy cream in a skillet with onions dill cook down to a sauce pour over perogies if you want different fillings I do saurkrat , dry curd cottage cheese . hamburger with rice, apple, or any kind of pie filling you get the idia if you want experiment with the fillings.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 AM

My mother is Ukranian and she use to make these often when I was a child. They went by a different name but they were the same otherwise!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 AM

Just sour cream and regular-all purpose flour? Any kneading? Or is minimal handling better?
I love perogies, but never considered making them. But that doesn't sound too difficult.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Perogies are great....Thanks for sharing....
Old 12-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
My mother is Ukranian and she use to make these often when I was a child. They went by a different name but they were the same otherwise!
I am Ukranian and my mom and grandmother made them all the time. I never tried to make them. I should put them on my bucket list. Have you tried making them with blueberries, and then when cooked, eating with a dollop of sour cream.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Love eat the. Ty for sharing
Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM

I'm Lithuanian and we mainly ate them with a plain cheese filling and then butter on top after they are cooked. Oh, i want some now!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Yum. I am polish and love all varieties. I have made them from scratch but often buy Mrs. T's in the frozen foods section. Not as good as homemade but satisfies the craving
Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM

My DMIL made them with dry cottage cheese mixed with beaten egg and served them with pineapple syrup poured over. YUM....
Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 PM

yes I want to know, do you handle them minimally or knead them first?
a bit of portions would be lovely maybe you can make a batch and see about how much of each you need flour etc.. filling how much to make per one tub sour cream etc.