Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pickeling Brine

Pickeling Brine

Fermented foods are key to a healthy digestive system & thatís where our health begins. This brine can be used for many things. Yesterday I made pickled asparagus, zucchini and carrot sticks. Healthier side to a sandwich in place of chips. DD pickles ring bologna - get creative !

1.25 cups white distilled vinegar
    1 cup water
    6 garlic cloves (peel & crush)
    3 T. sugar
    2 T. kosher salt

Heat in small pan to dissolve sugar. Donít boil. Arrange vegetables in quart jar, add 3 sprigs fresh dill & cover with warm brine. Let cool a bit then cover. Always keep in refrigerator. I use a tsp. Dill weed if I donít have fresh dill.

I love anything pickled and there is usually some sort of quick pickle in our fridge. It is a great way of extending the life of veggies that won't get used up otherwise. Your recipe is a good starting point. I have also added mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric to make a refrigerator version of bread and butter pickles.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Tranum what a great idea for getting more veggies!! Thanks.

Sounds good!

I also use a quick pickle when I want pickled beets for a salad and only have regular ones. Make the brine using the beet juice from the can to replace the water, or part of it. Heat and pour over the beets. Let sit a day or two and yummy pickled beets on hand.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.